Radio question

Discussion of STOCK TripMinderĀ®, audio, video, LED, capacitors, instrument clusters and controls, integrated circuitry and boards, low voltage, message center, resistors, speedometers, tachometers, transistors and systems.

Radio question

Postby spike » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:21 pm

My 1989 LSC has been sitting for 10 years in garage with battery disconnected and recently took out of storage hooked battery up etc. and went to turn radio on and have no sound.Ran antenna up and still nothing but when you turn radio on the screen shows CD and radio stations show up but nothing.Checked tape player and have very little sound just out of drivers door speaker.Anyone know what's going on with radio as car only has 9000 miles since new?Wondering if battery disconnected caused something in radio?
spike

Re: Radio question

Postby spike » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:31 pm

Anybody have any answers on this one?
spike

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:13 pm

The toggle volume control radio has known issues with the type of capacitors that were used in it's manufacture. It doesn't matter if the radio was used or not, it will fail with time. I believe Paul Protos refurbishes these by replacing ALL bad caps and any other components known to fail in these units. His e-mail is (polyscroll@hotmail.com). He does excellent work with fair prices........ 8-)

Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby spike » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:44 pm

Does anyone have Paul's number as I e-mailed him two days ago about radio and heard nothing back?Also how does radio come out?
spike

Re: Radio Question Removal

Postby spike » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:58 pm

Can anyone give me detailed instructions on how to remove trim and get radio out of my LSC?One of the old forum members was Paul I believe in Tenn. who was always helpful on instructions of removing anything on one of these cars and don't know if he is still around?...Sure miss his input!
spike

Postby IndyDave » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:17 pm

The trim piece around the radio pulls out. It's held in by spring clips.

I believe the two pair of small holes at the right and left edges of the radio face are where you put in removal tools. I got some in case I came across decent looking units at the salvage yard.

Image from Walmart, where I got mine:

When you insert the tools, it releases some clips so that the radio unit comes out. I got a radio from an T-Bird and it proved to be very difficult. Since the dash was beat up badly already I pretty much yanked it out of the dash with force. Wouldn't have done that if the dash was usable.
Image Image
1989 LSC sold in 1995 | 1991 LSC, "Cosmo", sold August 11 2016. I'm "between Marks" at the moment. ;)
IndyDave
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:33 pm

Snap in "clip type" radios where used in the 90-92 models where as a "bolt in " design was used from 89 and back. The tools are not needed for the "bolt in" version. 8-)
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Return to Electronic