Climate Control Issue

Discussion of STOCK TripMinderĀ®, audio, video, LED, capacitors, instrument clusters and controls, integrated circuitry and boards, low voltage, message center, resistors, speedometers, tachometers, transistors and systems.

Climate Control Issue

Postby Larrimmus » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:25 pm

This has happened to me on a previous Mark VII, and I believe the guy pointed to the dash and said I needed a "thermostatic switch". At the time I had grandma's trust fund, and didn't do much of my own work. What's happened was that I was be riding along with the AC on, temp set at 72, then all of a sudden it shuts down the AC and switches to heat! It was 90 outside when this happened the first time. Now I have to set it at 60 or 65 on "auto" to get AC, and then may have to manually set the fan speed. It seems the compressor is always on while I have the unit on. It gets very cold, but I worry about burning up the compressor, or freezing up the system (has not happened yet). So my solution to give the compressor a break? Punch it! That shuts off the compressor while I have it on the floor for a bit. Anyway...

Ford dealer says it is the "Temperature Control Sensor", # E4LY 19C734-A. They also said it is discontinued, and they show none anywhere in US at Ford dealers. Soooo
Anybody had this happen? Is there a temp sensor in the dash behind that little grate-looking thing? Is there an after-market replacement for that part?

Thanks...
Larrimmus

Re: Climate Control Issue

Postby CDW6212R » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:36 pm

Larry, I'm not sure if that is the sensor at fault, or the EATC itself. I've had one car do that, and a friend has had at least two of his Marks do it. I believe the EATC was at fault, as we swapped them out, mine I changed the sensor and the EATC both together to fix mine. There is a self diagnostic you can do to help find a fault if it detects one. I would contact Paul Protos and ask him if that symptom is from the EATC, he rebuilds those.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Larrimmus » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:46 pm

Thanks.
Larrimmus

Postby Falkon » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:21 am

Falkon
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:25 pm

Larry, I have the same problem after about 15-20 minutes of driving in my '89 Mark, whether in "auto" or not, when the temp is set at 65 F or greater. It suddenly outputs warm air. I recently repaired my a/c system after 7 years so it wasn't an issue until now. I checked both the aspirator lines (OK) and measured the resistance of both the interior temp sensor (in dash) and the ambient temp sensor (in the evaporator case), both OK. I get a code 12 for a wiring problem or bad EATC when it puts out hot air. Likely a bad EATC, so I turned the calibration screw on the left side of the EATC case as far as it will go counterclockwise (colder). I am waiting to see if this has any effect.

In any case, make sure that the air ducts (there are two aspirator lines) to the interior temp sensor are connected properly. The sensor is inside the little grating between the left and right air registers on the driver's side. It connects to an aspirator on the evaporator case (right behind the glovebox) and you can check the connection there by pulling the two glovebox stops towards the center and allowing it to drop down, thereby exposing the aspirator and the lever that controls air recirculation. The functioning of this part is critical as it allows interior air to be drawn over the sensor.

I don't know if that will help you but I am chasing down the same problem and also hoping that I don't need to replace the EATC.

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:59 pm

Larry, an update: setting the calibration screw on the EATC counterclockwise (colder) seems to have solved my problem. I drove it for about 45 minutes and it maintained cold/cool air when set at 65 F manually or on auto.

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Larrimmus » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:56 am

Thanks, Bob.

Unfortunately... or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, I sold the car last Sunday. Only had it 15 days. I was using money that I need to get through my "off" season (I'm a lawn guy), and already had about $2500 into it, and I could see the dollar signs adding up to homelessness. So, I posted it on craigslist just to see what would happen, and it only took 20 minutes for a guy to email me, and he took it off my hands for a little more than I paid. I probably could have made more if I would have waited a little. Anyway...

Now I have been bitten... by the third day after I sold it I was looking for another one! I'm nuts...

Thanks for the info, 'cause I may still need it on another one!
Larrimmus

Return to Electronic