Radio Trim Removal

Discussion of STOCK TripMinderĀ®, audio, video, LED, capacitors, instrument clusters and controls, integrated circuitry and boards, low voltage, message center, resistors, speedometers, tachometers, transistors and systems.

Radio Trim Removal

Postby spike » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:50 pm

Can anyone tell me how to remove trim around radio/console on 88-89 LSC?
spike

Re: Radio Trim Removal

Postby dehabur » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:57 pm

use a plastic tool if you have one to insert behind the edge of the trim and pry on it and it will pop right out.
dehabur
CLUB MEMBER

Postby spike » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:40 pm

Wow,really now that's a detailed description on removal!...Does anyone else have any pics or steps detailed 1,2,3, on removal as I sure miss Paul!
spike

Postby Falkon » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:18 pm

spike wrote:Wow,really now that's a detailed description on removal!...Does anyone else have any pics or steps detailed 1,2,3, on removal as I sure miss Paul!

Are you serious? It's just press fitted in. Held by friction. You pry it off. Using plastic is a good idea so you don't nick or scratch it. I can just grab an edge and pull it w/ my fingers.
Falkon
CLUB MEMBER

Postby cfcjr » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:43 pm

Just grab it by your fingers and pull. It will pull right off.
Charlie
2013 Lincoln MKS 3200 Miles
2007 Grand Marquis LS 50,000 miles
2005 Ford Five Hundred Limited 145,000 miles
1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 90,000 miles
1968 Cougar "XR7"
cfcjr
CLUB MEMBER

Postby spike » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:22 pm

If Paul was telling someone how to remove the radio trim I'm sure it would be something like"start in lower left corner with plastic pry bar and gently move around aluminum so not to bend it etc.etc." and that's what I'm looking for as the fit looks tight and pics would be great as this is a very very nice car and these things are scarce to even find one around here for parts.I'm trying to get the radio to fix which I find hard to believe with the low miles on this car!
spike

Postby Falkon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:16 pm

My only thought is if you're afraid to remove the trim, pulling out components inside the dash is far worse. The chance of breaking a mounting tab or especially wiring connections is very great. There's little slack in the harnesses and they are very old. I destroyed the connectors on one climate controller just trying to pull the connectors. Take care.

By the way, that inside view of this dash is incorrect. Someone in the past cut the metal bar below the trip minder and above the radio, to fit a different larger sound system head unit. Otherwise, the holes along the edges are where the tabs from the faceplate are held in place. At the far left, faceplate goes behind the steering column piece, and is held w/ 2 push pins. Start removal at top right if I were you. But pull evenly all around.

Mine have all come away easily at the bottom. They're in front of the console plate. But some people have said their car has the bottom behind that, so you'd have to work it free.
Falkon
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:19 am

spike wrote:I'm trying to get the radio to fix which I find hard to believe with the low miles on this car!

Spike, it isn't the mileage on the car, it is the age. Components that were used in the original manufacture of the radio are known to fail with age. Even if you still had a factory sealed one sitting on the shelf, chances are it would need some kind of repair......
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby spike » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:40 am

Got it apart and got radio out without hurting face plate.Glad it didn't have the spring loaded clips on side of radio as I usually break face plate every time I take one out.The 1988-89 are bolted in...great!...Thanks for the replys and intructions
spike

Return to Electronic