Tripminder Repair

Discussion of STOCK TripMinder®, audio, video, LED, capacitors, instrument clusters and controls, integrated circuitry and boards, low voltage, message center, resistors, speedometers, tachometers, transistors and systems.

Tripminder Repair

Postby Tooright » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:22 am

Any leads on whom I might send my '91 Tripminder in for repair?? Any contacts as to whom a reliable vendor may be to purchase a used or rebuilt Tripminder??
Tooright

Re: Tripminder Repair

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:33 am

Paul Protos (polyscroll@hotmail.com) for repairs and Paul Protos (polyscroll@hotmail.com) to sell your used unit.

Let us know how you proceed.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Tooright » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:52 am

Thank you very much ..... Pat
Tooright

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:45 pm

You are welcome very much.

We thank YOU for keeping a Lincoln Mark VII on the road!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Tooright » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:43 pm

Have tried several times to get info on how to remove Tripfinder from '91 Mark vii ....... any help would be appreciated ..... Pat
Tooright

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:28 pm

Tooright wrote:Have tried several times to get info on how to remove Tripfinder from '91 Mark vii ....... any help would be appreciated ..... Pat

The trim that goes around the heater controls and tripminder is a snap fit. Carefully pull the edges or use a plastic trim tool to pry it off. Take your time and go easy, it will come off. Once removed, you will see how the trip minder is mounted with screws behind the trim piece. Heater control can also be removed at this point. Good luck. Sometimes it is easier to remove the console top first before the dash trim. The console top is held on the same way, except that the trim ring around the key lock by the armrest must be removed first. Carefully lift the rear and work forward.... remember there is wiring that goes to the lighting attached so be aware of that. Again take your time and it will come off.... :mrgreen:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby Tooright » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:14 am

Thanks much!! Appreciate the help!
Tooright

Tripminder Repair? - again

Postby nick.gerasimchuk » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:14 pm

Dear group,

I have 1991 BB in which TripMinder died ~2 years ago. However, its silence ended last week and it woke up sick... Now I van get erratic uncontrollable beeping for 3-17 minutes without the possibility to stop it. Even if I stop the engine and restart the car it continues, then suddenly stops. A black screen of a silent TripMinder gets the only message DTE MI. I remember the explanation of the cause of "death" of these units due to the leakage of electrolytic capacitors...

I hate to leave a hole instead of the unit in beloved car, so my TripMinder needs repair/replace. Is somebody in the club who does repair? Or I need a new (repaired) unit?

Your comments are always highly appreciated!

Nick :|
Nick Gerasimchuk
nick.gerasimchuk
CLUB MEMBER

Postby cfcjr » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:29 pm

polyscroll@hotmail.com
Paul Protos fixed mine. Very reasonable and excellent work!
Charlie
2013 Lincoln MKS 3200 Miles
2007 Grand Marquis LS 50,000 miles
2005 Ford Five Hundred Limited 145,000 miles
1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 90,000 miles
1968 Cougar "XR7"
cfcjr
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Tripminder Repair? - again

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:43 pm

nick.gerasimchuk wrote:Dear group,

I have 1991 BB in which TripMinder died ~2 years ago. However, its silence ended last week and it woke up sick... Now I van get erratic uncontrollable beeping for 3-17 minutes without the possibility to stop it. Even if I stop the engine and restart the car it continues, then suddenly stops. A black screen of a silent TripMinder gets the only message DTE MI. I remember the explanation of the cause of "death" of these units due to the leakage of electrolytic capacitors...

I hate to leave a hole instead of the unit in beloved car, so my TripMinder needs repair/replace. Is somebody in the club who does repair? Or I need a new (repaired) unit?

Your comments are always highly appreciated!

Nick :|

You are correct that these suffer capacitor problems. The problem yours died 2 years ago and since that time, the liquid that leaks out has been eating away at the PC board, not to mention if they (the capacitors) have shorted, the damage that the board can suffer can be irreparable. (see picture below of my overhead console) My advice would be to pull it out and take it apart to see the amount of damage that has occurred. If it still looks in reasonably good shape, contact Paul as mentioned above for repair. If it is to far gone, you might be able to find a better one at your local yard. Remember all of them are pretty much the same on the inside, so if you find an earlier model you can make it fit your 91 by swapping the case/buttons from your original 91... 8-)

Hidden damage :evil:

Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Return to Electronic