Radio antenna

Discussion of STOCK TripMinderĀ®, audio, video, LED, capacitors, instrument clusters and controls, integrated circuitry and boards, low voltage, message center, resistors, speedometers, tachometers, transistors and systems.

Radio antenna

Postby northtexas1990 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:30 am

I have an after-market stereo/cd player,,Kenwood with Blauplunt speakers in doors. Question>>With the stock radio, did the antenna go up/down when radio is turned on/off or car started? Mine is manual with the switch on dash. I didn't find anything here in forums and do not have an owner's manual yet. Just wondering if it can be wired to go uo/down when car is turned off or started. sometimes forget to retract it. thanks Larry in Arlington,Tx.
northtexas1990

Re: Radio antenna

Postby CDW6212R » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:13 pm

They were installed to go up/down with the switch on models like yours, and the radio power button on others. I don't know when in the 90-92 range, but some had the switch while some didn't. The models with no switch(my two 91's), those do have a module to control the antenna, and it is located right behind the trim where the switch is on other models.

So you can wire up your antenna as you'd like it to be. I'm not sure I would want it controlled by the ignition switch, but you can do that, with the module from the cars without the switch.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:14 pm

CDW6212R wrote: I don't know when in the 90-92 range, but some had the switch while some didn't. The models with no switch(my two 91's), those do have a module to control the antenna, and it is located right behind the trim where the switch is on other models.

91-92 were the ones that had the control module, so if you harvest one of those you could convert yours to extend when you turn on the radio, provided that the head unit has a control wire. 8-)
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby northtexas1990 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:45 pm

Okay fellow car nuts,, thanks for that info. think I'll just leave it alon for now,, no big thang. just don't want to leave the antenna up all night or in a mall lot..you know what could happen then. Later from beautiful Arlington,Tx. where it's sunny and 80s.
northtexas1990

Postby cfcjr » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:18 am

I've never left mine up at the mall, but I was listening to the radio at the car wash, and bent it up so that it took two persons to close it. One to hold the button and one to push down on the antenna. I was fortunate enough to purchase a NOS antenna by using the correct ford part number on Ebay.
Charlie
2013 Lincoln MKS 3200 Miles
2007 Grand Marquis LS 50,000 miles
2005 Ford Five Hundred Limited 145,000 miles
1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 90,000 miles
1968 Cougar "XR7"
cfcjr
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Dallas90LSC » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:43 pm

NorthTexas...check your PMs.
Dallas90LSC

Postby northtexas1990 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:02 pm

Dallas90LSC wrote:NorthTexas...check your PMs.

Got it and replied,,,thanks.
northtexas1990

Postby northtexas1990 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:07 pm

cfcjr wrote:I've never left mine up at the mall, but I was listening to the radio at the car wash, and bent it up so that it took two persons to close it. One to hold the button and one to push down on the antenna. I was fortunate enough to purchase a NOS antenna by using the correct ford part number on Ebay.

Sounds like you lucked out finding an NOS antenna. one never knows until you look for something on e-bay,,you have to check often. E-bay is where I got my frt. air bags for the Mark7,,got 2 but have only replaced the rt. frt. bag which had a hole in it,,left is ok for now.
northtexas1990

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:51 pm

The power antenna assembly can be rebuilt, with an aftermarket mast, and R&Ring the plastic gear assembly(similar to the window motors). I did that with mine a long while ago, the mast was broken internally(the plastic flexible shaft). If the motor assembly is still good and not fouled with debris from the rest, they can easily be restored.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby condor655 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:25 pm

Due to circumstances, my car was off the road for roughly a year. When I got it back on
last fall, the antenna did not work. I know I had replaced the mast with an Ebay replacement
not too long before the car was sidelined. (Although the top portion if the mast started to
rust almost immediately). This time, when I removed the mast, I didn't get any of the
plastic gear with it. Using the dash button didn't do anything. The antenna was an Ebay
NOS replacement too, so I didn't think the antenna was bad.
So I removed the antenna and hooked it to a 12v power source and the motor turned and
turned. Nothing came out though. I had gotten a replacement mast because of the rust issue
on the prior replacement. So I figured I'd screw around with the antenna a bit before I gave up.
I took the new antenna mast plastic gear and fed/jammed it into the antenna while on the
12v source and turning. Not sure how the antenna mechanism works but it suddenly clicked or
caught and spit out the old plastic gear. Elated, I reinstalled the antenna and fed in the new
mast. It has worked fine since!
1990 Mark VII LSC SE
condor655
CLUB MEMBER

Postby MashmyMotor » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:20 pm

I replaced the mast on my '92 years ago. Same situation. The gear/plastic teeth thingie was broken. I think I googled "Lincoln mark vii antenna" and found a place that sold the mast. The directions specifically said " DO NOT CUT TO MAKE MAST FIT"

I did the same thing you did. Powered up the antenna and out came the broken crud. The antenna works perfectly.

To whoever was asking about if the antenna comes up when the radio is turned on..My '92 has no button to push. The antenna will only go up if the radio is turned on. It will go down if the ignition is turned off. If the radio power switch is left on but the car is shut off, the antenna will go back up when the car is started.

Jim
MashmyMotor

Return to Electronic