Drivers side window went down - now won't go up

Discussion of STOCK body shell, doors, exterior trim, frame, underbody, and window systems.

Drivers side window went down - now won't go up

Postby Steve260 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:47 am

Out of the blue today my driver's side window went down just fine but now won't go back up. No previous problems with the window going down and up.

Checked the switch for continuity, good, and see power being switched on the pins for both up and down, and everything seems normal - checks out the same as the passenger side window.

Pulled the door card off to have a look inside the door but nothing obvious revealed. Have the shop manual and it states that the glass needs to be up to do anything with the regulator or motor. Doesn't say what to do if you can't raise the glass. Therein lies my dilemma. Can't figure out how to get the glass up to proceed further.

I might add that with the door card off when pressing the window switch, I can hear a faint click come from inside the door, like a relay is activating - both for up and down. Wiring seems to be OK, or at least it appears to be OK because I hear this click.

If anyone has had this experience and knows what I need to do next to get that glass up, please help me out. Thanks.
Steve260

Re: Drivers side window went down - now won't go up

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:55 am

Welcome Steve.

The window motor is about 99% likely to need attention. With the door panel off, you can readily remove the motor and inspect the drive gear parts inside. There are three small plastic "pucks" inside which are intended to be the weakest links, they deform or crush over time, and then the gears won't spin anymore. The motor itself is probably fine, clean out the drive section and replace the worn parts($7-$25), and put it back together.

BTW, if the motor assembly has never been removed, there will only be two holes to access the three bolts. You will have to drill the 3rd hole, which has an indention/dimple at the bottom edge of the door panel, door surface. Most people create a very large and ugly 1/2" hole there, which is dumb. The hole only needs to be large enough to run an 8mm socket through. Find a drill just larger than that socket, and make that small hole to get to the motor bolt through.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Steve260 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:17 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Great information!

This is encouraging to hear that the repair may be inexpensive, once I manage to remove the motor. Where does one find these drive gear parts? Again, the window is in the down position and it looks like getting that motor out of the door is going to be a real challenge.

Appreciate the tip about the the holes. Shop manual states that drilling three ­3/4in holes are required ('91 LSC). Since there are no motor mounting holes and three dimples now, I'm not looking forward to this aspect of the repair.

Looks like it is going to be a few days before I can get back to the project and know for sure what is happening. May be even longer before I can get replacement parts if I must get them on line. Getting ready for an extended trip and the timing could not be worse.

Thanks again for the great information and if you have any further insights or advice on getting that motor out, I'm all ears.
Steve260

Postby Steve260 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:15 pm

Based on the information provided in the reply to my original post I went out (on line) and found a window motor gear repair kit that should be available at my nearest Advance Auto store for $20. Now I just have get the darn motor out and confirm the gears are the problem.
Steve260

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:05 pm

The window should be possible to force up when you have the door panel off, by some careful good grip of the bottom edge, and lift. Only the window motor keeps the glass from moving, you won't hurt the motor. Be easy, go slow, it's been ages since I had to do that, but it's not hard.

The window motor is very low in the door. Two holes are already there, near the bottom edge, behind the door panel. The 3rd hole is not drilled because it will be exposed just below the door panel, visible with the panel on. That's why I elaborate to say don't make the hole too big. Only an 8mm socket and extension has to go through the hole, the bolts are inside the door about three inches.

All parts stores will carry the three motor pucks, little plastic oblong round things, they want about $7 for those alone, and usually that's all you need. But you can buy the whole set of parts for the gear drive, that kit is about $20-$25.

Usually the only thing that will make the motor unusable is the shaft being loose which the gears ride on. When you get the motor out, and the gear drive cover off, look for that center shaft to be solid and not move at all. Rarely that will be found to be loose, and it cannot be fixed. I've had one like that, and new gears didn't help, the shaft would deflect inside and the window barely would move.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Falkon » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:36 pm

If the gear parts are shot the motor should run though. New motors are avail cheap at Auto Zone now. Just watch the left and right description. It's wrong and the photo is correct.
Falkon
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:11 pm

The stock Ford window motor is the best choice, it is the quietest and known to almost never wear out. New NOS units can be had on eBay for about $75 a pair shipped.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:03 am

Steve260 wrote:Out of the blue today my driver's side window went down just fine but now won't go back up. No previous problems with the window going down and up.

Checked the switch for continuity, good, and see power being switched on the pins for both up and down, and everything seems normal - checks out the same as the passenger side window ...

Welcome.
Good job of trouble shooting.
See these two articles:
http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/documents/tech/powerWindowMotorRepair.pdf
http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/documents/tech/powerWindowMotorReplacement.pdf
Read this thread,
http://www.thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/ph ... =17&t=9956
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Body