Care In A Coastal Environment

Discussion of STOCK body shell, doors, exterior trim, frame, underbody, and window systems.

Care In A Coastal Environment

Postby ricardocordoba » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:51 am

Hello all, I have a quick question here or so I hope. I currently have a 1991 Mark VII (Cosmo from IndyDave) and just wondering what I would need to do to prevent rust if I decided to take this Lincoln to Oahu, Hawaii with me in a few years? I'm torn about this issue so looking for someone with more insight rather to take the car with me or not.
ricardocordoba
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Care In A Coastal Environment

Postby oldschool1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:18 pm

Let me contact our Club Member in Hawaii and get back to you.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:20 am

PM Sent.
Tell Bob I said hello.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 2manymarks » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:41 am

ricardocordoba wrote:Hello all, I have a quick question here or so I hope. I currently have a 1991 Mark VII (Cosmo from IndyDave) and just wondering what I would need to do to prevent rust if I decided to take this Lincoln to Oahu, Hawaii with me in a few years? I'm torn about this issue so looking for someone with more insight rather to take the car with me or not.

As a resident of NC in a coastal environment (directly on the Intracoastal Waterway) susceptible to tropical storms and constant salt air, I can tell you it is rough on vehicles that don't have very regular if not constant care. Having multiple cars, it is impossible to keep the up, and rust is the main issue. Our cars have one particular spot that is a real problem and that the rear window trim and drain area. Keep the car waxed, rinsed and garaged or at least under cover. No salted roads in Hawaii so that's a benny, but an occasional undercarriage rinse would be good.

It's been years since I was stationed in Hawaii, but it was only 14 months and I don't recall any rust issues with my 64 Ford station wagon that did a cross country before and after. :)
As of July2017, 11 Mark[*] VII's, 3 licensed for the road:
1989 LSC Midnight/Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock 99k.
1989 LSC Midnight/Current Red c/c (9G) 124k, stock, needs air suspension & bodywork.
1989 Light Titanium c/c (11) Bill Blass - stock. miles unk
1989 LSC Medium Sandalwood (62) Mass air+ 111k FOR SALE $900.
1986 BB (8T) stock 125k (wife'sDD)
1987 BB (4L) stock (miles unk)
1987 Base Model White (9L) 107k (2.73rear)
1984 Turbo Diesel Base model, Platinum (1Q), 131k+ FOR SALE $1000.
Parts cars: 88 LSC, 89 BB, 90 LSC - TLZ 5spd (complete conversion w/extras 4SALE)
2manymarks
CLUB MEMBER

Postby ricardocordoba » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:29 am

Thank you. It sounds like an old Mopar B-Body haha. For example, look at a 66-74 Dodge Charger. They usually like to rust around the back window as well. Anyways, so basically keep doing what I'm doing with washing/waxing. I've decided that if I take "Cosmo" he may become of a weekend warrior and I definitely can't have a place that's not garaged since my wife now has a newer "old school" Camaro.
ricardocordoba
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Body