Door Window Weatherstrips

Discussion of STOCK body shell, doors, exterior trim, frame, underbody, and window systems.

Re: Door Window Weatherstrips

Postby warwgn » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:13 pm

I'm going to start on the dew wipes tomorrow morning. Dad's actually gonna pull his Daytona out of the garage so I can work on the mark, cause it's gonna rain... I cleared off the work bench so I can use Mom's laptop to check the PDF File as I go...

I hope to god that it doesn't really take 2 days (per door???) to do, and is there any possible steps that I can skip, seeing as the PDF file was written for an LSC, not a BB.

Edit: I just read the entire article with James. Holy crap!! This job is WAY too big to do. I don't have the time or patience to do it, let alone the tools. It won't get done before Carlisle, Maybe if James has a free weekend during the summer, but not likely.

I'll just focus on something else, like the Horns (in another thread), or touching up the paint job.
Cheers
Doug Corrigan
1990 Bill Blass, Black w/ canavas Landau roof. Mods: 3.08 trac-lock rear end, Draw-Tite Class 1 bumper mount trailer tow hitch.
2003 Ford Explorer Limited. 4.6L V-8. 5spd Auto 3.73 rear 4x4. Class 4 hitch.
warwgn
CLUB MEMBER

Postby machvii » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:08 pm

Yesterday I stole Bryan and took a look at this new dew wipe solution and feel that it is inferior to the current JC Whitney set up.

I will post pictures after I put out a couple more fires.

I remain...

Murderously Yours,

MACHVII
MACH VII 1992 LSC-R #004
351w, T5Z 5-speed, Cobra intake, Custom built Gromm Racing AFR 185’s, E303 cam, BBK Headers, Converted to Mass Air, 1 5/16" front sway bar, 7/8" rear sway bar, MM sub frame connectors, caster camber plates, Panhard Bar, Bassani stainless steel X-pipe, SN95 conversion, 3.73 gears and on and on and on...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/709425

1970 Mark III
472ci, DOVE-A heads 324cfm intake/200cfm exhaust, Voodoo cam & notched hydraulic lifters, roller rocker arms, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 750cfm carb, 1 3/4" headers and on...
machvii
Chapter Coordinator, California

Postby JoshMcMadMac » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:48 pm

artbaileyjr wrote: Hmmmm..... A computer in the garage! :idea: I LIKE IT! :D
That way I don't have to rebuild transmissions on the living room coffee table anymore! :shock: :mrgreen:

That was one of the things I planned for when I finally got my garage. 8-)

Save for moving bicycle helmets off of the desk, this is actually how I found things...even though to me it looks somewhat staged. A buddy of mine in college free-handed the emblem on the computer case. It is an older computer, but works perfect for garage duty!
2005 LS V8: Stock.

(SOLD 07/09)
1992 Mark VII LSC SE: FR500's, KYB's, Kenny Brown C/C plates, subframe connectors, 4.10's, 190lph fuel pump, smog delete, U/D pulleys, T-5, 3G, Mark VIII fan, adjustable FPR, 70mm MAF, 65mm TB, ported Cobra intakes w/ spacer, ported GT40 heads w/ valve job, 1.72 rockers, XE270hr-14 cam, BBK headers, 2½" exhaust w/ off-road X-pipe.
270hp 305ft.lb.

(SOLD 11/07)
1989 Mark VII BULLITT: Shaved trim, emblems, antenna, trunk latch cover, door handles. 100% custom interior, 35% tint, 17" Bullitts, 1800watt custom audio.
JoshMcMadMac

Postby 84lsc » Fri May 22, 2009 10:23 pm

I obtained a window molding that was in good shape from the salvage yard and ordered a pair of LN103 outer weather strips. The company said that I had to drill holes for the stapes. This is the way they turned out.
I have not installed them on the car yet. Would like to see your pictures. If the pictures do not show up here go to my gallery as I have not learned how to post them yet on the forum.
84LSC
84lsc
Chapter Coordinator

Postby artbaileyjr » Fri May 22, 2009 11:58 pm

I'll give you a hand.

They look good! 8-)

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby 84lsc » Sat May 23, 2009 9:45 am

Art;
Thanks. How did you do that. I kept getting a message saying the file was too large. Is there some instructions some where for up loading pictures. Hope to meet all on June 6th.
84LSC
84lsc
Chapter Coordinator

Postby 84lsc » Sat May 30, 2009 9:48 pm

In reference to my window wipes. I had to find a good piece of molding and drill the holes for the staples because there is no tool that will do this. Then insert the staples by hand and bend with pliers. And now for the rest of the story…..
When I installed these on the car with great effort, I discovered that they did not fit. The middle was bulging out and did not fit flush to the window. I called the company
RE -POPS and complained. The problem is on the LN103s there is a 2 inch felt strip in the middle that is about ½ inch thick that stops the wipe from fitting. On our cars this is only about 1/8 inch. They told me to remove it. So I removed the wipes and drilled this out and reinstalled them on the car. The fit was much better, I would recommend these.
84lsc
Chapter Coordinator

Postby gadget73 » Sat May 30, 2009 10:34 pm

Ah, so thats the secret. I just installed these today, and for the life of me I could not get the passenger side one to sit right. The driver's side practically fell into place, and looks perfect with no meddling. I'll try removing that felt "bump" tomorrow and see if it fixes it.
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Postby TeamLincoln90 » Fri May 09, 2014 3:09 pm

Hello-

I don't plan to sand and polish the trim, just replace the felt...Has anyone used these replacements, will they require cutting and the complex install?

http://www.steelerubber.com/search?year ... 80-0684-57
Thank you, Derek
TeamLincoln90

Postby kaley200 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:55 am

I decided to give it a shot today and ordered the KIT with both inners and outers it clears both inside and outside of the windows. But, just as importantly to me is the fact that they come with the CLIPS ALREADY ATTACHED so we should be able to forget about drilling holes and installing rivets. They were $154 delivered to MICH in 2or 3 days. That is from STEELE RUBBER CORP. The lady answering the phone had quick answers to any of my questions and gave me a good feeling about their products. Will let you know when I receive it and get putting it on. On second thought , I think since my mark vii has to go into the body shop on the second of Nov to fix a 'bubbly up' near the right front mirror, I just may ask him to add this procedure as well and tell me how hard or easy it was and whether or not he liked the product. LATER.....BUD :)
kaley200

Postby Sir Tonk » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:57 am

Did you ever get those installed? I'd really like to replace my originals, they're practically a saw blade at this point, but would like to hear some feedback first.

Thanks!
Sir Tonk

Postby mark007 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:09 pm

Sir Tonk wrote:Did you ever get those installed? I'd really like to replace my originals, they're practically a saw blade at this point, but would like to hear some feedback first.

Thanks!

You may want to check over on Lincolnsonline for an answer also. I believe a mambe named Skarhed used the RubberSteele product also. It's been awhile, but I believe so. From what I remember he had good results.

Also Sir Tonk, probably not the best way to get an answer, but awhile back I believe I saw your car in the Houston area. I left a meesage on it for you, but never got a response. If you dont mind chatting some time, I'd like to hear from you? reply here or send a pm if possible.
1990 Lincoln Mark VII w/ a few knick knacks
mark007

Postby Sir Tonk » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:52 pm

Yeah, that was me. I've still got the note in the center console, I think. Sorry I never got back, It's been rough at work and I haven't been keeping up with much else (especially car stuff, which drives me crazy). I work there at the museum.
Sir Tonk

Door Window Weatherstrips

Postby Richardovellee » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:28 am

My drivers door channel rusted out on the front channel, bottom half.

Has anyone had any luck in securing an answer to this problem?

Ive run into a dead end.
Richardovellee

Previous

Return to Body