Front Right Airbag does not inflat

Discussion of STOCK air springs, struts, shock absorbers, shocks, compressors, air driers, lines and systems.

Front Right Airbag does not inflat

Postby 89Mark7Owner » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:27 pm

Okay, For the past couple of weeks my Air Ride system dash light has been going on and off and at the time I wasn't able to figure out why. I have a 1989 Lincoln mark 7 LSC. It turns out that the front right air bag is not filling at all and or does it release air. I realized this when I was driving I noticed banging sounds when I would hit a bump on the road. Okay, since then I also realized my air compress was turning on when the sensor told it that the front right sides needed some air, but for some reason the air bag was not filling up as it should be, although since I didn't realize it until a couple of weeks, I then realized that my original 89 air compress was not shutting down, and running for as long as I drove the car, which in return fried up the compressor and died. I replaced it with a brand new air compressor. 1 problem solved now to the next one. Now my front right air bag still doesn't filling up, nor does It release any air. I thought that maybe the air control module was fired as well , because I did the ohm testing check to it and it told me if the wires that connect to the solenoid reading is above 14 ohm , replace air control. I took out my air control and it smelled like burning electronics , so I ended up replace that today with a used air control from a junk yard shop off of ebay. I installed the air control today and nothing,.. It's doing exactly what it was doing before I replaced the control. Either way it cost me only $40 and didn't smell like brunt plastic or electronics so all in all I feel safer with the new control. I just ordered a new solenoid from my local parts box store and it will arrive tomorrow. Before I replace the solenoid is there a trick I can do, so that the air bag does not end up stretching out, long ways and making it impossible to reinstall back on my car. Last time I replaced a solenoid, I had to purchase a new air bag, because the air bag was fully compressed and I couldn't get the rubber to overlap over the bottom plastic part of the spring housing., the part that sits on the bottom, if you know what I mean. Also can someone tell me if I may be missing something different with the information I gave you on my problem. Am I missing something I can figure out. Could it be another problem? Thanks in advance for your replies.
89Mark7Owner

Re: Front Right Airbag does not inflat

Postby 90 MarkVII BB » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:06 pm

How did your last bag come unfolded over the base? You can change the solenoid without removing the bag itself at all. It can stay mounted to the car. As for why it's not filling or releasing air - my thoughts are either a leaking bag allowing air to escape as quickly as it fills, or a faulty solenoid that is stuck closed and won't open to allow filling or releasing of air.

I think you're on the right track. Replace the solenoid and o-rings (grease them with silicone paste) and see what happens.
"Ivory" - 1990 Mark VII Bill Blass Edition
3G Alternator, Arnott Air springs front/rear, hardwired dashcam, Tigerpaw whitewalls, all 4 brake lines new NiCopp, all else factory.
In the works - Backup cam, Addco#415.
90 MarkVII BB
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Suspension