Two airbag questions...

Discussion of STOCK air springs, struts, shock absorbers, shocks, compressors, air driers, lines and systems.

Two airbag questions...

Postby YVRHotRodLincoln » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:16 pm

...btw, great help on patticat's post, thanks for those insights. Question Number One: I want to retain my air suspension and just developed the same issue. My right front goes down slowly now (over about 2 days, and not all the way) then comes back up and holds with a short compressor burst. But I want to change out all 4 bag solenoids anyway. So I ordered two solenoids from Protier on eBay (said Rear). But I haven't ordered two more yet because I'm getting conflicting info re whether the solenoids are specific to front/rear or are all the same at each end/corner. If you go on their site the solenoids say Front. And Question Number Two: which airbag manufacturer would anyone recommend? Is Protier OK, or is Suncore better? And is there in fact different pressure rate bags for the LSC? (my car). And can you get them now?

Thanks everyone... :idea:
YVRHotRodLincoln
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Two airbag questions...

Postby K MANIAC » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Answer #1: All the solenoid are the same and interchangeable. There is no specific left or right or front or back solenoid.

Answer #2: The difference between a "Base/Designer" air spring and an "LSC" air spring is the shape of bottom pedestal of the spring. The B/D springs have an hour glass shape and the LSC springs have straight vertical sides. Arnott makes a compromised spring design with mostly straight vertical sides with concave ring around the bottom of the pedestal. Beware that most aftermarket air spring suppliers don't know the difference between B/D and LSC spring design. Also, advertising front and rear solenoids also indicates their lack of complete knowledge.

One more thing and it may sound picky but it is important. The inflatable supplemental restraint device mounted in the center of the steering wheel of the 1990 through 1992 Mark VII's is called the "Airbag". The four inflatable suspension components that both oscillate the suspension and support the weight of the vehicle are called "Air Springs". In the future, please use proper nomenclature so that we all can eschew obfuscation. Thank you.
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass (Oxford White)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Pewter Metallic)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Sandstone Metallic)
1/2 of a 1992 Town Car Signature (my guaranteed inheritance)
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby YVRHotRodLincoln » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:45 am

"Air Spring" it is K MANIAC...
YVRHotRodLincoln
CLUB MEMBER

Postby YVRHotRodLincoln » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:48 am

...do you (or anyone else) have any comments on Protier air springs? They seem to have decent pricing but a) I know you get what you pay for and b) I'm always wary of the lower priced parts as they tend to be manufactured in China...
YVRHotRodLincoln
CLUB MEMBER

Postby K MANIAC » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:20 am

This is the first time I have heard of Protier. From their web site, they appear to be a supplier of air suspension components manufactured by others. They claim that the components are made in the USA. They do not specify a difference between B/D and LSC springs so they may not be aware of the difference. They only appear to sell one style, whatever that style may be. The picture they show of the individual air spring appears to use the LSC design with straight sides. However, they show the same picture for both the front and rear spring selections, and this picture is of a rear spring with two bolt holes at the bottom of the pedestal.

Other places you may want to research are:

Suncore
Strutmasters
Arnott
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass (Oxford White)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Pewter Metallic)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Sandstone Metallic)
1/2 of a 1992 Town Car Signature (my guaranteed inheritance)
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby YVRHotRodLincoln » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:41 pm

Thx K MANIAC...
YVRHotRodLincoln
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:07 am

Kmaniac, your elegant prose is impeccable! Yes, Arnott, Strutmasters and Suncore are the airspring suppliers to purchase from.

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Suspension