Intense Grinding Sound

Discussion of STOCK air springs, struts, shock absorbers, shocks, compressors, air driers, lines and systems.

Intense Grinding Sound

Postby CleanMachine89 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:13 pm

I had a good deal of troubleshooting luck from this community a year ago and was hoping for somebody to point me in the right direction again.

The trouble exists with my right front wheel. Whenever turning the steering wheel to the left, I hear this sound, "kr kr kr kr kr". It is loudest at 15 degrees counterclockwise and going uphill. Lately, the sound has been happening even while going straight and having the foot off the accelerator. The sound cuts out immediately when I rotate right.

Now, it sounds like it might be obvious to somebody that has a look at it BUT 2 of my fellow mechanics had completely different ideas about what's causing it - one having to do with the suspension system and the other with the exhaust.

The only thing that makes the grinding sound better is pumping up the air suspension all the way. In the winter time, sometimes the sound goes away all on its own.

It randomly started while I was driving up a 10 degree incline. Figuring it was pebble and it would need some time to wear down.

This is otherwise spoiling a great riding experience. Thanks!
CleanMachine89

Re: Intense Grinding Sound

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:46 pm

This would be easier diagnosed by first finding out what it is NOT.
Suspension wise, you could probably eliminate most parts in the driveway. I would test it lowered, at trim height, and then suspended. With all three conditions available, it's bound to show up.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CleanMachine89 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Hi Oldschool1,

The sound gradually gets more intense the lower the suspension is. Overinflated air spring bags typically eliminate the sound altogether.
CleanMachine89

Postby CDW6212R » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:55 pm

I'd inspect the entire suspension and brakes carefully. You will find something that needs attention now.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CleanMachine89 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:41 pm

Thank you all for your reply. The brakes check out well (recently fixed a dryrot line) and the suspension for the most part is pretty sound.

Suspension at different heights:
As low as it can go = Just an enormous bother and the problem is constant, I feel the road and my cars pain in this position =/

Trim height = Going left or uphill brings on the noise. Acceleration worsens. It can still persist going downhill neutral if I turn the wheel counterclockwise all the way (and fast)

So my suspension has acted up in the past; so I let it inflate all the way in park, and then the turn off switch at full height. Minimal problems with the ride except for this, its not really level on all sides - I would say the right side (passenger) is one finger width lower than the other.

I've been living with it for over 2 years (crazy, right) but it has gone from a minor nuisance to a "am I alerting neighbors that my car is going to fail at any moment now?"

*** Most significant thing I've noticed as of late is that the noise comes on with a body roll to the passenger side. Anything that promotes downwards force towards the right front wheel probably triggers this sound.
CleanMachine89

Postby oldschool1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:44 pm

I'm going tp have to sit this one out as it could be too many things.

Until you begin to rule out items, this internet diagnosis can go well over $1000.00

Hard left turn noise could be - steering rack or steering fluid pump or wheel bearings or rotors or antilock sensors or wheel or tires or tie rods or anti-sway bars or ball joints or air springs or struts.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 90 MarkVII BB » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:09 am

I'm only a shade-tree mechanic, but if it were my car, I'd have to think that something must be rubbing. I'd get under there and look for "witness marks," particularly some area that looks specially clean or like fresh metal, scratches, fraying plastic, etc. Something that indicates it has been rubbed/worn down.

I'd also get the wheel off the ground and have someone turn the steering wheel lock to lock to see clearances and such. It may point you in the right direction.
"Ivory" - 1990 Mark VII Bill Blass Edition
3G Alternator, Arnott Air springs front/rear, hardwired dashcam, Tigerpaw whitewalls, all 4 brake lines new NiCopp, all else factory.
In the works - Backup cam, Addco#415.
90 MarkVII BB
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CleanMachine89 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:35 pm

Great places to check! I will do that soon. One thing that predates the noise - I had a 'mechanic' accidentally over-torque the right rotor and things went awry. I had to replace the spindle and had no oversight what spindle/rotor were replacements. Noise came on probably 6 months after that debacle.
CleanMachine89

Postby oldschool1 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:25 am

90 MarkVII BB has a good point. I did ~not~ consider diagnosis off the ground. Most of my issues were found before lifting the vehicle.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Suspension