THERE ARE 17 O-RINGS IN OUR SUSPENSION SYSTEMS

Discussion of STOCK air springs, struts, shock absorbers, shocks, compressors, air driers, lines and systems.

THERE ARE 17 O-RINGS IN OUR SUSPENSION SYSTEMS

Postby oldschool1 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:56 pm

After 24 hours of having OldSchool1 back home from the body shop, I found it slammed to the ground with the compressor running fine.

No problem. Just a leak somewhere. Using a spray bottle of 50/50 (liquid soap and water), I checked the FOUR o-rings on top of the dryer. No bubbles.

I checked the THREE o-rings on the solenoid, driver's side rear. No bubbles.

I checked the THREE o-rings on the solenoid, passenger's side rear. No bubbles.

I checked the THREE o-rings on the solenoid, driver's side AND the THREE o-rings on the solenoid, passenger's side front. No bubbles.

Wait. That's only 16 o-rings. Aw crap! I skipped one! I separated the dryer from the compressor and found this. The crescent was once part of the o-ring.

I grabbed the spare o-ring from the spare dryer in the shed and reassembled everything. I started the car and went inside to grab a beer. When I came back outside, OldSchool1 was at trim height front and back.

THERE ARE 17 O-RINGS IN OUR SUSPENSION SYSTEMS.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Re: THERE ARE 17 O-RINGS IN OUR SUSPENSION SYSTEMS

Postby jud149 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:15 am

Excellent write up. Thanks!
'91 LSC, '11 Lexus LS 460
jud149

Postby White Lincoln » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:36 am

Harbor Freight has a box of O rings of assorted sizes, both metric and standard. I bought one of each during a sale on this item.

I need to replace the O ring in my left rear air bag. The solenoid vavle to bag O ring. I was lazy and did not replace it on that side. After doing the rear bags, the car was leaking on the right side so I replaced that one. It stopped leaking, so I thought. It now will drop after about two days so I need to get back under the car and do the left one.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:44 pm

hehehe

Yeah. If you KNOW it's only the o-rings then I'd go with just a solenoid o-ring kit.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby White Lincoln » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:36 pm

Got one. Just too damn lazy to put it in. I need to get my garages finished. Everything else suffers when you take on a priority project like a garage remodel. I need to check and replace my vacuum lines in the engine as well. Have I had time to do that? Not only know but ...
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby artbaileyjr » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:33 am

I ~don't~ think that you will find ALL of the "O" rings in the Harbor Freights set(S). I have everything that they (Harbor Freight) has to offer and I still have to resort to McMaster Carr for some of the "proper" O-rings.

McMaster Carr carries one of the biggest assortments of O-rings I have ever seen. I've also found that the "quad seals" work best for the air suspension tubes as they have a more square cross section as opposed to a round cross section which is the wrong profile for the air tubes.

Unfortunately, I ordered about a bazillion of 'um a few years ago and misplaced the part number, but you can go online and find them in their online store. Just make sure you have an unmolested OEM "square cut" ring and come calipers handy when doing this.

They cost about $3.00 for a boxcar full of the silly things and you won't be chasing leaks all over he place like you do with O-rings.

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby jud149 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:59 am

Lowes also has them with the one exception, MAYBE, of the dryer to pump o-ring.
'91 LSC, '11 Lexus LS 460
jud149

Postby mark007 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:11 pm

good info guys.will be ordering up some.
1990 Lincoln Mark VII w/ a few knick knacks
mark007

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:14 am

THERE ARE ~still~ 17 O-RINGS IN OUR SUSPENSION SYSTEMS.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Falkon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:40 pm

Just to be a "wise guy", isn't there a huge O-ring at the air dryer cannister on the ones that can be opened?
Falkon
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:27 pm

Falkon wrote:Just to be a "wise guy", isn't there a huge O-ring at the air dryer cannister on the ones that can be opened?

He counted it, three on every air spring four on top of the drier and the big one on the bottom. 12+4+1=17 :D
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:19 am

Falkon wrote:Just to be a "wise guy", isn't there a huge O-ring at the air dryer cannister on the ones that can be opened?

It's cool.

OEM dryers ~do~ have a 3 inch rubber gasket shaped like an o-ring but it functions as a gasket, not an o-ring.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Falkon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:35 am

Point noted, sometimes I just can't resist being a smart a$$. No offense meant. Going for humor.
Falkon
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:01 pm

That's the way we took it, as humor. We can dig it. We all joke and BS every now and then.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Falkon » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:56 am

Not to bring it up again, but you said three O rings per solenoid. Am I dreaming or aren't there four. Last time I pulled one it had the tiny one at the air line, The huge one keeping out dust and TWO on the bottom. Reason I recall is that there is a small washer supposed to go between these, and mine became goofed up w/ the 2 rings together & they then rolled over when installing it.

Found a picture of the solenoid. http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/docume ... lenoid.pdf

Rereading Art's article more closely he says the two O rings share the same groove. It's important that the thin washer in that groove be placed between those O rings. Ask me how I know. Of course w/ proper lubrication it may not matter.
Falkon
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:24 pm

I'm glad you found it.

oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Suspension