Power Steering Pump

Discussion of STOCK column, pump, rack, pinion, linkage systems.

Power Steering Pump

Postby White Lincoln » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:04 pm

I noticed the other day in the underground parking lot that my power steering was rather loud. I suspect it to be the pump and was wondering if getting a new remanufactured Motorcraft pump would help to alleviate this noise.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Re: Power Steering Pump

Postby tomnh » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:46 pm

Easy way to fix the noise is to get a baster and suck the old fluid out. Takes a bit as you will need to start the engine after every suck and turn the wheels lock to lock. Then fill with fresh fluid and turn the steering wheel lock to lock till any noise is gone. Add fluid as needed.
I do this once a year to my cars, Clean fluid is the cure. :o
tomnh

Dirty Deeds 90 lsc 93 Cobra heads and intake, 1.7 RR, 6AL ignition, United Exhaust 2 1/4" off road exhaust, no smog and no cats, X-Pipe, SCT chip and mass air, A9P ECU. 24lb injectors, 3:55 gears, 255 fuel pump, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator with gauge, 65mm TB, Ram Air intake, 17" 1998 cobra rims. Last tune was 290HP

Sandy 1989 lsc convertible (1 of 12) Original and Stock, driven daily and under renovation.

Buy Club Gear and Support Our Club !
http://www.cafepress.com/LincolnMarkVIIClub
tomnh
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby White Lincoln » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:03 pm

tomnh wrote:Easy way to fix the noise is to get a baster and suck the old fluid out. Takes a bit as you will need to start the engine after every suck and turn the wheels lock to lock. Then fill with fresh fluid and turn the steering wheel lock to lock till any noise is gone. Add fluid as needed.
I do this once a year to my cars, Clean fluid is the cure. :o

I already did a complete flush a while back, maybe it's time again.

Just that I say a motorcraft pump for HALF the price for close out. THought it might be a good buy right now, since all the other brand rebuilts seem to be crap.

I went down this road with my 89 Conti which I think had the same pump. I replced the pump and everything and the POS never shut up!!!!
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby YVRHotRodLincoln » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi Guys...new member from Vancouver, BC, Canada. Hope to be able to talk to a lot of you, especially the guys from up here in Canada, and BC in particular. I've done a few Mustangs but this is my first Mark VII. Love the car! I'll set up my profile and avatar and tell you a bit about myself but right now I have an immediate question concerning this thread:

My PS is basically OK but it whines a little bit so I thought I'd carry out some preventative maintenance and try the baster trick. I've heard what seems to be two slightly different takes on this job - one seemed to be trying to get as much fluid out of the reservoir in kind of "one shot" by sucking, turning lock-to-lock, sucking, turning lock-to-lock until the system was as empty as possible, then re-filling with new Type F. The other method seems to be suck, turn lock-to-lock, shut off engine etc., re-fill to level and repeat. I'm a bit concerned about running the pump with little or no fluid in the system so which is the best and safest way to handle this procedure?...I have all the tools and Type F fluid and was going to try it in the morning..

Thanks from Vancouver!

Neil :D
YVRHotRodLincoln
CLUB MEMBER

Postby White Lincoln » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:25 pm

First of all Welcome to the club!

I would not use Type F fluid, I would use Lucas Power steering fluid instead. But that's me. It seems to do more than just lubricate.

THere is a post by Art Bailey about the power steering pump and how to flush it. Get used the search feature of the this web site becasue there is a lot of information in the posts about what you want to know.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby White Lincoln » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:33 pm

I found this thread, hope it helps:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6522&p=56378&hilit=power+steering+fluid#p56378

BTW: The power steering pumps of this era where just noisey. My Mark makes some noise, my 89 Conti made noise and both had the same type of pump in them. Even after replacing the pump, the noise was the same. It's a Ford thing... :P
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby YVRHotRodLincoln » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:02 pm

...thanks for the help!!
YVRHotRodLincoln
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:25 pm

Do to the design, the pump will whine a little. If you have ever taken one of these apart you will see why. It is a simple design and easy to work on. I have rebuilt a couple of these on my fords due to leaking seals. The hardest part to the whole job is pulling and installing the pulley to get the pump out of the car. Why Ford built the mounting bracket that way is beyond me. You have to have the pulley puller tool to do this. The best way to keep these pumps as quiet as possible is to keep the fluid clean. I run an inline filter in the return line to help keep things clean. Do as suggested above if your fluid is really dirty. On my 90 LSC it was like gear oil and it whined very loudly. The pump leaked, so I pulled it and put a seal kit in it. I then took an air line to blow out all the dirty fluid from the system since I had the hoses disconnected. Cleaned everything and put new fluid in and it is much more quiet now. 8-)
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby White Lincoln » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:20 pm

WHITEOXLSC wrote:I run an inline filter in the return line to help keep things clean.

Nice idea. Do you use the full size filter?
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby YVRHotRodLincoln » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks again for the help guys. I replaced the fluid using the "baster trick" and it worked great. The old fluid was pretty brown and now it's basically pretty red. I'll do it again soon to really get that fluid fresh. I still hear a slight whine in the pump but it's definitely improved, and as some of you have stated, that just seems to be a Ford thing. When I re-parked the car I noticed a real difference in the steering effort - much smoother. I did put in Type F because I'd already bought it and didn't have much time to do the job today (holiday so I took advantage of it...). I had a small bottle of transmission conditioner hanging around so I added about a 1/2 pint of that in as well. I think it's basically a lubricant so hope that wasn't a no-no (I've had 5-spds in all my Mustangs so autos are a little new to me..). And in anticipation of probably having to replace the pump at some point (car's got 100K on it) I ordered a rebuilt Motorcraft pump from Rock Auto (the quick-steering one...). Rock Auto, especially for Canadians, is awesome and their prices our amazing. Vancouver's right near the border so I get all my stuff shipped to a WA mail-drop and just bring it over. It was about 1/3 the price of buying it here if you add up the price plus all the sales taxes etc. I'm going to order all my ignition tuneup items from them.

Thanks once again guys..this is a great site and group...and I'll have lots more questions..!

Neil
YVRHotRodLincoln
CLUB MEMBER

Postby YVRHotRodLincoln » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:22 pm

...and with the RA Motorcraft pump they didn't even demand a core in return, so when I replace the pump with the new one I'll just get a rebuild kit and rebuild the current one...
YVRHotRodLincoln
CLUB MEMBER

Postby White Lincoln » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:20 am

+1, Good job!

Do some research on what pump fluid you would like to use on the new pump to keep it running for another 100k.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:18 pm

White Lincoln wrote:+1, Good job!

Do some research on what pump fluid you would like to use on the new pump to keep it running for another 100k.

I use power steering fluid in all power steering pumps. I used to also add Lubegard PS additive, but a high quality power steering fluid usually works great. Both will help. ATF was made for a transmission, not for a power steering pump.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:57 pm

I have a rebuilt pump from CARQUEST that I put on 11 years and 70,000 miles ago. No problems.

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:12 pm

White Lincoln wrote:
WHITEOXLSC wrote:I run an inline filter in the return line to help keep things clean.

Nice idea. Do you use the full size filter?

There are a couple of choices out there. Napa has one made just for power steering pumps or a slightly larger one designed for power steering or transmissions. They both have a magnet to catch any metal pieces if they are in your system. Can't hurt, just install it in your return line and you will be all set. :)
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:21 pm

"And in anticipation of probably having to replace the pump at some point (car's got 100K on it)"

Not to worry, I have a 88 Ford Ranger with over 360K and the pump is still going strong. The only thing I have done to it, is a seal kit about 10 years ago. They are a simple design, other than a slinger spring breaking, should last a long time. Keep the fluid clean to prevent wear. :mrgreen:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby YVRHotRodLincoln » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:28 pm

...drove it out to a sales call today (about a 50-mile round trip...I'm a res/comm. realtor) and it felt great...still felt smoother to the touch than before...thanks again guys...I'll post my next Mk Vll question in the exhaust forum....! :D
YVRHotRodLincoln
CLUB MEMBER

Postby YVRHotRodLincoln » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:29 pm

...oops..engine forum!
YVRHotRodLincoln
CLUB MEMBER

Postby YVRHotRodLincoln » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:38 am

FYI guys, found this little tidbit on Yahoo! Answers to the question, "Are PS and Trans. fluid the same? "

"No, they are not. Power steering fluid and transmission fluid both expand when heated, but they are different. On the old Fords, they used transmission fluid in the power steering systems, because they were designed for either type of fluid. That does not mean you could use power steering fluid in the transmission. Power steering fluid expands a lot more than transmission fluid does, although it doesn't take as much cooling as transmission fluid requires".

If this advice is to be believed then I guess the answer is, use ps fluid in a ps system as that's what it's meant for!In the next couple of "baster tricks" I guess I'll convert over to ps fluid...
YVRHotRodLincoln
CLUB MEMBER

Postby White Lincoln » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:51 am

Do some research and see which one suits you. As I mentioned, I am partial to Lucas:

https://www.lucasoil.com/products/displ ... 3&loc=show

Good luck with your choice.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby YVRHotRodLincoln » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:34 pm

..visited their site..looks like good stuff and they claim it's compatible with all PS systems...will move over to that as I drain and replace...
YVRHotRodLincoln
CLUB MEMBER

Postby panhard » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:59 am

Hi Folks,

You guys have been a wealth of information which has been a great benefit in getting my orphan back in shape for licensing in Western Australia. My beast has the noisy power steering pump and I am about to follow your suggestion in changing the fluid, however the auto shops don't stock the said "F" fluid so I ask if I can use any premium power steering fluid or must it be one particular to this pump, I have a bottle that indicates it is suitable for Ford vehicles. Also does anyone know where I can source a set of "Shadow Blue" seats and door panels for the 1988 Bill Blass MK V11 that are in good condition.

Cheers from Down Under.

John
1988 Lincoln Mark VII
panhard

Postby admin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:32 pm

Australia does not carry Mercon ATF?

I did a search for power steering fluid for 1988 ford and got a chart that said Mercon ATF would be fine.

Hope this helps.

And welcome from up over!
admin
SITE ADMIN

Postby robertbweltzien » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:16 pm

Reminder that if it has PS fluid before the flush you might get a leak after changing to type F.
I never use it in PS systems anymore.

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Steering