My wipers go contently

Discussion of STOCK air conditioning, consoles, defoggers, defrosters, door trims, heating, HVAC, safety air bags, seats, windows and systems.

My wipers go contently

Postby timjewell1024 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:21 pm

I have a 1988 Lincoln Mark VII. My wipers go contently. I've replaced the wiper motor and the wiper switch. Are there some kinda wiper relay or module in the wiper system?
timjewell1024

Re: My wipers go contently

Postby 90 MarkVII BB » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:04 am

do you mean they go "intermittently?" If you wiggle around the multifunction switch, will it sometimes get them to turn on? I know you said you've replaced it - was it with a spare used one? If so, it's probably a worn out multifunction switch. After 20+ years, those get worn out and this is common.

It's happened on every Mark I've owned.
"Ivory" - 1990 Mark VII Bill Blass Edition
3G Alternator, Arnott Air springs front/rear, hardwired dashcam, Tigerpaw whitewalls, all 4 brake lines new NiCopp, all else factory.
In the works - Backup cam, Addco#415.
90 MarkVII BB
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:30 am

90 MarkVII BB, The pre 1990 wiper switch is actually a separate switch from the turn signal and was quite robust.
Yes. Our 1990 - 1992 Multifunction switches were NOT robust. Even the new aftermarket versions don't stand up to us old guys driving in the city and using it 32 times a day between home and work.
The issue above sounds more like what you said but for another, non nefarious reason.
I have yet to need to replace a pre-1990 windshield switch.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 90 MarkVII BB » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:06 pm

oldschool1 wrote:90 MarkVII BB, The pre 1990 wiper switch is actually a separate switch from the turn signal and was quite robust.
Yes. Our 1990 - 1992 Multifunction switches were NOT robust. Even the new aftermarket versions don't stand up to us old guys driving in the city and using it 32 times a day between home and work.
The issue above sounds more like what you said but for another, non nefarious reason.
I have yet to need to replace a pre-1990 windshield switch.

Thank you for the correction. I've not owned a pre-90 in some time, and forgot!
3G Alternator, Arnott Air springs front/rear, hardwired dashcam, Tigerpaw whitewalls, all 4 brake lines new NiCopp, all else factory.
90 MarkVII BB
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:40 pm

The wiper assemblies can also be adjusted to "park" properly. I had to adjust mine because they wouldn't go down all the way. Sometimes the switch is OK and the malfunction lies within the wiper motor adjustment. Just a thought...

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:08 pm

There is also the wiper delay (pulse) module. If it has failed internally, it could also cause the symptoms described. Like Oldschool said, I'd check the switch first, then go from there..... 8-)
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:32 am

robertbweltzien wrote:The wiper assemblies can also be adjusted to "park" properly. I had to adjust mine because they wouldn't go down all the way. Sometimes the switch is OK and the malfunction lies within the wiper motor adjustment. Just a thought...

Bob

+1
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 90 MarkVII BB » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:16 am

oldschool1 wrote:
robertbweltzien wrote:The wiper assemblies can also be adjusted to "park" properly. I had to adjust mine because they wouldn't go down all the way. Sometimes the switch is OK and the malfunction lies within the wiper motor adjustment. Just a thought...

Bob

+1

How do we do that? Mine sometimes dont park properly either. They'll wipe, go back to on position, then back up slightly, and stay there.
90 MarkVII BB
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Interiors