Stock Headers from Mustang?

Richie Carman has been the Owner/Operator of The United Exhaust Shop II /Flowrite Exhaust for more than 19 years. Many exhaust kits that are supposed to be "designed to fit" your Lincoln Mark VII, seem to have a problem somewhere during installation. Since the year 2000, we\'ve designed and produced Custom High Performance Exhaust Kits for Lincoln Mark VIIs. These exhaust kits are manufactured only from the Highest Quality Parts. They are installed with the best workmanship and professionalism in the industry. Give us a call today! We will be glad to assist you with whatever your \nneeds may be.

Re: Stock Headers from Mustang?

Postby eightlives » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:08 pm

waste of time and you will loss some torque, which in this big cars you need.
eightlives

Postby gadget73 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:49 pm

I do believe the flange on the headers is larger than the stock exhaust. If you use stock dual exhaust parts from an LSC it will work fine with those headers though.
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Postby machvii » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:49 pm

JPD686 wrote:
eightlives wrote:waste of time and you will loss some torque, which in this big cars you need.

How will i lose torque bolting up my headers and getting true dual exhaust Curently is seem like it is VERY restrictive compared to my mustang exhaust........ that doesnt seem to make sense, im increasing the flow..... Seems like bullshit??? im not keeping ANYTHING STOCK WITH EXHAUST THAT THE CAR CAME WITH - i am planning on using ALL MY STOCK MUSTANG EXHAUST - i know if needs to be a bit longer (the H pipe) but as stated somewhere else all i need are some "flow tubes" - Currently exhaust is ironlog manifolds with a Y pipe and 1 tailpipe that has rusted off........... 2 going into 1 seem alots more restrictive than 2 going straight out the back.... Iron log manifolds look pretty restrictive..... and i know the mustang ones are not that much better but i believe it will add a but nicer sound than manifolds....

Don't listen to the smart man who gave you the correct answer. Just go ahead and do what you want to do.

Take plenty of pictures so we can be sure to enjoy as you burn your time up for nothing.

Murderously Yours,

MACHVII
MACH VII 1992 LSC-R #004
351w, T5Z 5-speed, Cobra intake, Custom built Gromm Racing AFR 185’s, E303 cam, BBK Headers, Converted to Mass Air, 1 5/16" front sway bar, 7/8" rear sway bar, MM sub frame connectors, caster camber plates, Panhard Bar, Bassani stainless steel X-pipe, SN95 conversion, 3.73 gears and on and on and on...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/709425

1970 Mark III
472ci, DOVE-A heads 324cfm intake/200cfm exhaust, Voodoo cam & notched hydraulic lifters, roller rocker arms, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 750cfm carb, 1 3/4" headers and on...
machvii
Chapter Coordinator, California

Postby White Lincoln » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Couldn't he use the headers and exhaust from an 86' high flow 5.0?
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby eightlives » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:19 pm

first... tyvm MachVII :)

second.... with a stock motor by increasing the airflow you will gain some hp, but you will lose torque. It has to do with back-pressure.

that being said, torque is what gets you off the line and what you feel in the seat of your pants.

If you have plans to do anything with the motor, and this is just the first step then go for it. but if you are going to keep it stock you will most likely regret it.

I for one don't think I could drive a stock 84, hell My stock 89 feels slow to me now.
eightlives

Postby White Lincoln » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:46 pm

I don't think torque has much to do with it. I think you should add the dual exhaust just have it, and I think it will help. Even if you just add it from the cat back. Sounds better, that is for sure.

You will need to pull it from another Mark though, the mustang is not going fit, especially over the axle. You could order a Walker replacement for an 86 Mark HO 5.0 from the headers back. Not sure if its an exact fit or not.

I pulled a dual exhaust system off a 95 Cougar V8 and with little work, got it to fit my 94 Cougar with a V6. Sounds better and has a more pep. But that is from the single muffler back (same in v6 or v8).
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby machvii » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:51 pm

White Lincoln wrote:I don't think torque has much to do with it.

Yikes.

Murderously Yours,

MACHVII
MACH VII 1992 LSC-R #004
351w, T5Z 5-speed, Cobra intake, Custom built Gromm Racing AFR 185’s, E303 cam, BBK Headers, Converted to Mass Air, 1 5/16" front sway bar, 7/8" rear sway bar, MM sub frame connectors, caster camber plates, Panhard Bar, Bassani stainless steel X-pipe, SN95 conversion, 3.73 gears and on and on and on...

1970 Mark III
472ci, DOVE-A heads 324cfm intake/200cfm exhaust, Voodoo cam & notched hydraulic lifters, roller rocker arms, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 750cfm carb, 1 3/4" headers and on...
machvii

Postby eightlives » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:01 pm

machvii wrote:
White Lincoln wrote:I don't think torque has much to do with it.

Yikes.

Murderously Yours,

MACHVII

I agree, Yikes....

btw... a stock 88 to 92 Mark has 225hp and 300tq (at the crank)..... there is a reason why it has so much more torque, you need it.
eightlives

Postby White Lincoln » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:51 pm

Yikes! Just kill me now...

I meant with his engine, there is not much he can do to get more torque with out doing major mods. By adding a STOCK dual exhaust from another Mark VII (stock @ 2" or less pipes) I doubt will TAKE AWAY much torque.

The car is under powered as is and adding dual exhaust won't make much difference. If he went with a full 2 1/4 or more pipes to the end, that would drop the back pressure a lot. But come on, stock dual exhaust? Besides, I would not drop $600 in exhaust on this car. A better engine would be worth spending the money on. Add the cheapy dual exhaust and enjoy.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby eightlives » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:35 pm

no, that would need to change as well...
eightlives

Postby White Lincoln » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:47 am

I have to be honest here and say clean the car up, make it nice at a low cost, and trade or sell it and get a post 1988 LSC. I think you will be happier.

I also must say (and some may kill me for this) but if you have to ask all these questions, I would think you might want to think about leaving the car as it is. Least you get into a Frankenstein that ends up in the yard anyway (I know, I went down this road once).
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby White Lincoln » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:48 am

JPD686 wrote:ok so unless im doing major engine mods no point getting 2 1/4+ exhaust?

No point and a waist of money.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby machvii » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:03 am

White Lincoln wrote:I have to be honest here and say clean the car up, make it nice at a low cost, and trade or sell it and get a post 1988 LSC. I think you will be happier.

I also must say (and some may kill me for this) but if you have to ask all these questions, I would think you might want to think about leaving the car as it is. Least you get into a Frankenstein that ends up in the yard anyway (I know, I went down this road once).

Beautifully, beautifully said.

You can go sit in the front of the bus in the "Smart Seats" next to eightlives.

Murderously Yours,

MACHVII
MACH VII 1992 LSC-R #004

1970 Mark III
machvii

Postby eightlives » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:04 am

machvii wrote:
White Lincoln wrote:I have to be honest here and say clean the car up, make it nice at a low cost, and trade or sell it and get a post 1988 LSC. I think you will be happier.

Beautifully, beautifully said.

You can go sit in the front of the bus in the "Smart Seats" next to eightlives.

Murderously Yours,

MACHVII

LOL, but I like to sit in the back with the "cool" kids... LOL

but yah, I'd have to agree with you WhiteLincoln
eightlives

Postby gadget73 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:48 pm

You can more or less use the CFI fuel system to go multiport. The connectors from the frame lines up to the CFI unit are different than what the multiport cars have but thats nothing some fittings can't fix. It can certainly be done. I know a guy who's done it on an 84 Continental if you want specific info. The Conti is damn near the same.

Stock duals will run fine on an 84. Its been done. I've driven those cars with the dead stock CFI engine and dual exhaust, and they don't lose any appreciable amount of torque provided you use the stock 4 converter H pipe, stock size pipes, and stock mufflers. Crown Vics had the same exact engine, and dual exhaust was optional. It gained 10 hp and 10 or 15 ft/lb of torque on a Vic and the improvement in throttle response was obvious. They usually got better fuel economy too, though in most cases the exhaust was coupled with a full tuneup and an oxy sensor. Now if you go with bigger pipes, deleted cats, or other major changes its not likely to work right. Before you change anything though, be dead certain that motor runs right or you won't be happy with it. CFI is fine when its fine, though it does tend to be fairly gutless. Unfortunately they have lousy timing chains that got real sloppy over time, causing hitching and bucking problems. They also tend to need all new vacuum lines for any hope for it to run correctly.
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Postby gadget73 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:39 am

I dont think the Mustang tails quite fit. The H is a smidge shorter too so you'll need some extensions on the midpipe to reach the mufflers but that shouldn't be a big deal.
gadget73

Postby ND4SPDLSC » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:27 pm

Hogwash and misconceptions abound.

I installed a set of stock tubular headers and a stock Mark VII dual exhaust setup on my '85 Continental. I definitely picked up power and lost nothing on torque. The Mustang H pipe will bolt on only if it came from an automatic car. The shift linkage hits the pipe otherwise. Replicate the stock mounts and locations for control of noise, vibration, and harshness.The Mustang tailpipes will not fit without some work. The bends are really different and I've had both side by side. It's much easier to just buy a Mark VII tail and add a tip.

You want exhaust gas velocity and NOT back pressure to ensure torque. Back pressure ensures only reduced power at the benefit of nothing. Thus, keep the pipe diameter smaller but large enough to get sufficient flow. A stock pipe size is likely the largest you need for the CFI engine.
1985 Continental, Burgundy - In CT, Free to a good home!
1986 Mark VII LSC, Medium Graphite Metallic (1J), Project #1
1986 Mark VII LSC, Silver Metallic, Parts Car, Gone
1989 Mark VII LSC, Pewter Metallic (17) #, Unfortunate Parts Car, Gone
1989 Mark VII LSC, Pewter Metallic (17) #2, Project #2
1994 Mazda Miata, Classic Red
1999 Dodge Viper ACR, Viper Silver Metallic
1999 Jaguar XJR, Black, Stock
2000 BMW 540i/A, Biarritz Blue
2001 BMW 540i/6, Jet Black, Dinan Sprinkles
2001 BMW M5, Anthracite Metallic, Stock
ND4SPDLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby White Lincoln » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:41 pm

JPD686 wrote:except tail pipes but ill figure that one out!

It may be a bit noisy in the cabin, but you could go without the exhaust past the muffler.

...or make some tail pipe out the side of the car before the rear wheel... :shock: :D
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby gadget73 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:45 pm

ND4SPDLSC wrote:You want exhaust gas velocity and NOT back pressure to ensure torque.

we have a winner!
gadget73

Postby artbaileyjr » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:10 pm

These are actually pretty comfortable on long trips. They are definitely easier to live with than the Flowmasters & full pipes on Kat's '91, in fact, I don't mind these at all. These are just cheap "turbo" mufflers that I had laying around that I used as a placeholder until a full blown system could be installed, but I rather like 'um. I'll probably run 'um until I replace the headers and install some front pipes, that would not be legal here in California, but anything goes in Idaho, where Kat, myself and all the cars are headed, so I can really clean up the exhaust once I get serious about the engine!

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby ND4SPDLSC » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:41 am

JPD686 wrote:cool thanks, yea it did come from my auto mustang so it should all work! except tail pipes but ill figure that one out!

Stock LSC pipes are all you need and they're guaranteed to fit. They're actually cheap from Walker. I bet you'd be on your way for under $40-$50.
1985 Continental, Burgundy - In CT, Free to a good home!
1986 Mark VII LSC, Medium Graphite Metallic (1J), Project #1
1986 Mark VII LSC, Silver Metallic, Parts Car, Gone
1989 Mark VII LSC, Pewter Metallic (17) #, Unfortunate Parts Car, Gone
1989 Mark VII LSC, Pewter Metallic (17) #2, Project #2
1994 Mazda Miata, Classic Red
1999 Dodge Viper ACR, Viper Silver Metallic
1999 Jaguar XJR, Black, Stock
2000 BMW 540i/A, Biarritz Blue
2001 BMW 540i/6, Jet Black, Dinan Sprinkles
2001 BMW M5, Anthracite Metallic, Stock
ND4SPDLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby artbaileyjr » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:35 pm

Have a look here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-1992- ... ccessories

That's where I got mine and I was quite pleased.
Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby White Lincoln » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:53 pm

JPD686 wrote:so basically, i can use my stock H pipe from my mustang and Headers, that are just sitting in garage, and it would be fine, no real amount lost?
I was thinking some mustang tailpipes too because i have it all sitting around....

Just do like the rest of us and TRY IT! It's the only way to know for sure and a great way to learn.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Return to United Exhaust