A/C "muffler" foam coat

degreasing, cleaning, restoring, detailing

A/C "muffler" foam coat

Postby phoenix » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:00 am

how do i replace the rubber coat on it? thanks!

8-)
Last edited by phoenix on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

1990 LSC SE (a.k.a. "Christine")
1991 LSC (a.k.a. "Ghost")

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Re: this thing

Postby LLFordman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:37 am

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe that is the "muffler" for the A/C compressor. I would clean it up and paint it first. Not sure of the purpose of the foam but you will need to find some foam and glue that will survive the under hood temps. I think it is 3M #80 spray adhesive that will endure some higher temps. As for foam you probably have to look around for something in Home Depot.

.02 worth....
Julian
W4VCO

1990 Mark VII Convertible Twilight Blue
1990 Mark VII LSC SE Dark Titanium
1991 Mark VII LSC Titanium Frost
1992 Mark VII LSC Deep Jewel Green
1997 F350 PSD CC SRW Performance White
1998 Mustang Bright Atlantic Blue
2001 Explorer Limited 5.0 Spruce Green

"I have a plan, just not all the money"
LLFordman
CLUB MEMBER

Postby K MANIAC » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:21 am

LLFordman wrote:Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe that is the "muffler" for the A/C compressor.

Absolutely correct! This canister on the low pressure line is a noise reduction device. It is insulated with foam because, during normal operation, the refrigerant in the line (returning from the evaporator and heading to the compressor) is colder than ambient air temperatue (and much colder than "under hood" air temperature) and the foam is there to inhibit preheating of the refrigerant prior to return to the compressor.

Now, when you consider replacement insulating foam and adhesive for this part, remember that the surrounding engine compartment can get very hot and this A/C line and muffler can be at or near the freezing temperature of water during normal operation.

I have not replaced this type of insulation before, so I have no clue where to look for it or what to use.
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass (Oxford White)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Pewter Metallic)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Sandstone Metallic)
1/2 of a 1992 Town Car Signature (my guaranteed inheritance)
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby phoenix » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:33 am

Looking at the "show off your engine bay" thread pics, Jack, Art, and White Lincoln all have replaced theirs. Hey guys! What did you use!!
Image Image

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Re: A/C "muffler" foam coat

Postby artbaileyjr » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:24 am

I went to Home Depot or Lowe's (doesn't matter, can't remember which) and bought pipe insulation with the adhesive on the edges that butt together. I used it on the hoses (still have a couple of cars to do). The muffler can be done the same way but you will have to use two pieces butted edge to edge and some trimming to get all the way around the muffler. I also used some black silicone under the seam area(s) on the hoses to keep everything together and in place, "long term".

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby phoenix » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:27 am

artbaileyjr wrote:I went to Home Depot or Lowe's (doesn't matter, can't remember which) and bought pipe insulation with the adhesive on the edges that butt together. I used it on the hoses (still have a couple of cars to do). The muffler can be done the same way but you will have to use two pieces butted edge to edge and some trimming to get all the way around the muffler. I also used some black silicone under the seam area(s) on the hoses to keep everything together and in place, "long term".

Art

thanks! only if you have 5-10 mins sometime in the next couple weeks... i would love a zoomed in pic! :D :D
Image Image

phoenix

Postby artbaileyjr » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:58 am

Probably not possible. Everything is in boxes and I'm going to jerk the plugs out of our computers today, leaving us at the mercy of our laptops and occasional connectivity for a few weeks, after which, I'll be pretty busy trying to find my under ware, much less cars, computers & cameras.

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 pm

Ok.
Now I've got THAT image stuck in my head.
Art. Arrive safely and unpack your drawers.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby phoenix » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:28 pm

thank everyone, you guys really rock!! (being Cap'n Obvious here) ...Jack, thanks for the pic.

Once I've sanded the muffler down and removed what's left of the old paint... will regular engine enamel be sufficient? i want to paint it, too. ...thanks. 8-)
Image Image

phoenix

Postby saharacourt1 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:16 pm

Hello my Fellow Mark VII fan.
Do you know if yoy can still get a hold of FREEON for my A/C
My A/C blows good , but NOT cold air.
The Linconl Dealer wanted to retro-fit my car???
He was talking about BIG MONEY???
I recall a couple of years ago, a mechanic put in a couple
of cans of FREEON???
Thank you for your time.
Scotty in Florida.
SAHARACOURT
saharacourt1

Postby mikeceli » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:29 am

http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/5124065311.html

Make sure you get your R12 license. by taking the online course.

Your AC will work best w/ the refrigerant it was designed for.......... R12.
GOD BLESS AMERICA]

1988 Mark VII LSC

2016 Chev Cruze
2014 Chev VOLT
2000 Ford Excursion 4X4 Diesel
1996 Implal SS Black
1996 Impala SS Dark Cherry
1995 Buick Roadmaster sedan
1986 Corvette Coupe
1989 IROC-Z Camaro convertible
1986 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
1979 "Y84" "Bandit" Trans Am 403/AT
mikeceli

Postby robertbweltzien » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:24 pm

Saharacourt1, FYI if you can't obtain R-12 or don't want to use it due to it's extremely high cost, then R-12a is a great substitute and it is compatible (mixes) with ALL refrigerant oils; PAG and ester (R-134a systems) and mineral oils (R-12 systems). Redtek, Duracool and Frostycool are three R-12a brands that I know of and you can buy them on eBay or Amazon. They are not sold in auto parts stores. The stuff is cheap and you can buy a case of 12-6 oz. cans for less than $90.

See http://www.redtek.com, http://www.duracool.com, http://www.frostycool.com.

No EPA license is needed to buy it and the reason they discourage people from using it is because they are afraid of people discharging their R-12 sytems to the atmosphere. My system had leaked out all its R-12 before I repaired and refilled it with R-12a. R-12a cools much better than R-134a and marginally better than R12. It runs with lower head pressures, so your compressor will last longer. It does not contribute to global warming (which R-134a does) and it doesn't harm ozone. R-134a is in the process of being phased out since it was only meant to be used temporarily until more suitable R-12 substitutes were found. R-12a also does not react with moisture to form acids, so you can avoid having to replace your receiver-dryer. R-12a is neither a CFC nor a flourinated hydrocarbon and it is a mixture of propane and isobutane, so it is all natural. Although R-12a is flammable, so is R-12 when mixed with refrigerant oil, and besides, you are sitting in front of 22 gallons of highly flammable liquid anyway! Our systems hold about 42 oz of R-12 (Freon) and only need 15-18 oz of R-12a. I've used it in my '89 LSC since July of last year and I am extremely happy with how my a/c works in the Georgia heat. If you decide to use it, make sure that your system is professionally evacuated and pumped under vacuum to remove all traces of R-12 and any acids that may have formed from moisture. You do not have to flush the system or replace the receiver dryer.

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby saharacourt1 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:31 pm

To Bob Weltzien.
Hi BOB.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INDEPTH ANSWER TO MY A/C PROBLEM IN MY 1989 MARK V11.
I WILL GIVE SOME SERIOUS THOUGHT TO OBTAINING R-12a FROM EITHER EBAY OR AMAZON
AS YOU SUGGEST.
IT LOOKS LIKE I HAVE TO ENTER 3 6oz CANS AS NEEDED. AS YOU INDICATED.
SHOULD I HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS, I HOPE YOU DON'T MIND IF I CONTACT YOU.
REGARDS
SAHARACOURT1
SCOTTY IN FLORIDA.
saharacourt1

Postby robertbweltzien » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:29 pm

I also put foam and fiberglass insulation on the supply hose to the evaporator after the orifice tube. That gets exposed to heat from the right header. I also wrapped it in aluminum foil for heat reflection. I insulated the accumulator and the return hose to the compressor and I get temps in the mid 30s from the registers.

Bob
Last edited by robertbweltzien on Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:18 pm

I realize that this is an old post, but I also had leakage from the Schrader valves on the high and low pressure lines. They were replaced prior to charging, along with the valve on the low pressure switch on the accumulator. They still had small leaks, perhaps due to corrosion from the old R-12. I used teflon tape on the two line valve threads, as well as an o-ring in each cap and that solved the leakage problem. Soapy water (Dawn) was used as the leak detector on the cold engine. It worked great!

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Engine Bay