My Electric Door Locks.

preparation, wax removal, washing, sealing, waxing, detailing

My Electric Door Locks.

Postby saharacourt1 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:33 pm

Hello Fellow Mark V11 owners.
I am having difficulty locking and unlocking my doors using the keyless system.
I enter the (5) five digit code that was given to me by the dealer when I bought it
brand new in 1989. I also enter my personal (5) digit code that I have used from
the beginning.
However the doors won't lock. Can anyone help me with this problem.??
I was able to lock the drivers door with the key. Then it was frustrating to open
it again with the key. But it did finally. I was hoping I had not locked the doors for good.
I look forward to hearing from one of you.
Many thanks.
Scotty in Florida.
saharacourt1
saharacourt1

Re: My Electric Door Locks.

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:18 am

If the door is hard to lock/unlock with the key and they will not lock/unlock with the key pad or button inside the door, the lock actuators have more than likely failed. They are still available and a DIYer can replace them, if you are up to the challenge. There are many threads here on this website showing you how to do it. Try Ebay and see if you can find some OEM replacements, aftermarkets are good but the OEM versions are better...... 8-) .
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Ditto, the actuators will freeze up, sometimes stopping the latch mechanism from working at all. I got several NOS units from eBay, there's a seller there now with a pair for $70+S; https://www.ebay.com/itm/DOOR-LOCK-ACTU ... 1438.l2649

How are your side window weatherstrip pieces, the dew wipes? Those stop water from getting down past the glass, and to the actuators. When those get hard and crack, the lock actuators suffer.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby saharacourt1 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:59 pm

Thanks you guys.
You have been a great help to me in evaluating what is wrong with my keyless system.
The EBAY link is terrific and the advise about the door window trim is right on.
Can the window trim, which becomes hard after years, be replaced by myself of does
it require a restorer to do it for me???
I am not sure if I can change the Door Lock Actuators myself. Is it one for each door???? (COUPE)
I will let you know how I make out.
Best regards
Scotty in Florida.
SAHARACOURT
saharacourt1

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:57 pm

Yes Scotty, the actuators are one per door, not fun to change but doable. Those are held on by one 1/4" rivet, which is the tough part if you don't have access to that large rivet gun. I got mine for about $20 at Harbor Freight, and Ive used it many times over the years. All of the door handles use the 1/4" rivets, as do all of the door inner regulators and various parts, the door glass rivets etc.

To get to the actuator, start by carefully removing the door panel, search on here for the how to to get it off without hurting it. Inside, go to the back edge and locate the one gold colored bolt near the bottom, which holds the glass channel guide there. It's a straight short piece, and only that one bolt holds it in. Note the location of the bolt before removing it, that's an adjustment for the tightness of the glass(the bolt moves side to side to tighten the glass, which should have no big play). With that out, pull it straight down and out, then you have good access to the lock actuator and linkage for the door latch. Take your time removing the linkage to the actuator. Then it's not hard to remove the one rivet and actuator, put the new one in, and reverse the process. It takes a small punch to knock out the pin inside the rivet, and then a drill to enlarge the hole to match the 1/4" hole size.

The window dew wipes are tougher. The original parts are easy to R&R, the aftermarket replacements aren't entire complete units. They are basically the rubber component that you have to attach to the old outer trim portion. I've never done it, but there are a couple of how to's here and on the Lincoln forum. There are also alternative choices to use other generic rubber trim more available, also in threads here.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby saharacourt1 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:25 pm

Hello CDW. I enjoyed reading your post on my electric door looks. I must say your are more
adept at working on your Mark V11 than I am. You make it look easy ,but I am sure I would
have some difficulties. I will search for someone in my area who may be well versed in car
door locks. At least I know how to obtain the Actuators on EBAY.
Thank you so much for your time and great information.
Scotty in Florida
saharacourt
saharacourt1

Postby saharacourt1 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:48 pm

CDW6212R wrote:Yes Scotty, the actuators are one per door, not fun to change but doable. Those are held on by one 1/4" rivet, which is the tough part if you don't have access to that large rivet gun. I got mine for about $20 at Harbor Freight, and Ive used it many times over the years. All of the door handles use the 1/4" rivets, as do all of the door inner regulators and various parts, the door glass rivets etc.

To get to the actuator, start by carefully removing the door panel, search on here for the how to to get it off without hurting it. Inside, go to the back edge and locate the one gold colored bolt near the bottom, which holds the glass channel guide there. It's a straight short piece, and only that one bolt holds it in. Note the location of the bolt before removing it, that's an adjustment for the tightness of the glass(the bolt moves side to side to tighten the glass, which should have no big play). With that out, pull it straight down and out, then you have good access to the lock actuator and linkage for the door latch. Take your time removing the linkage to the actuator. Then it's not hard to remove the one rivet and actuator, put the new one in, and reverse the process. It takes a small punch to knock out the pin inside the rivet, and then a drill to enlarge the hole to match the 1/4" hole size.

The window dew wipes are tougher. The original parts are easy to R&R, the aftermarket replacements aren't entire complete units. They are basically the rubber component that you have to attach to the old outer trim portion. I've never done it, but there are a couple of how to's here and on the Lincoln forum. There are also alternative choices to use other generic rubber trim more available, also in threads here.

HELLO CDW6212R
I HAVE HELD ON TO YOUR RESPONSE BECAUSE I HAVE NOT HAD ME ELECTRIC DOOR LOCKS FIXED YET. I DO RECALL THAT IN ONE OF YOUR
EMAILS TO ME YOU SHOWED PICTURE BY PICTURE HOW TO CHANGE THE "ACTUATORS" HOWEVER I CAN'T SEEM TO LOCATE THAT EMAIL FROM
YOU ANYMORE?????? I KNOW I DID NOT DELETE IT. COULD YOU PERHAPS RESEND THOSE PHOTOS AGAIN TO ME. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR
TIME ON THIS. BEST REGARDS. SCOTTY IN FLORIDA. (FOR MY 1989 LINCOLN MARK V11 BILL BLASS)
saharacourt1

Postby saharacourt1 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:47 pm

HELLO CDW6212R
I AM RESENDING THIS BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW IF I SENT IT PROPERLY BEFORE???????
HERE GOES.
SOME TIME AGO YOU WERE KIND ENOUGH TO SEND ME AN EMAIL AS TO HOW TO FIX MY ELECTRIC DOOR LOCKS.
YOU HAD SOME GREAT PICTURES IN YOUR EMAIL SHOWING STEP BY STEP HOW TO LOCATE AND CHANGE THE
ACTUATORS. FOR SOME STRANGE REASON I CAN;T LOCATE THAT EMAIL OF YOURS.?
ANY CHANCE YOU COULD RESEND IT. I AM ABOUT TO TRY AND GET MY DOORS FIXED FINALLY.
MANY THANKS FOR ALL YOUR TIME AND INTEREST.
SCOTTY IN FLORIDA.
saharacourt1

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi Scotty, are you sure it was me, I haven't emailed anyone through here in a long time. John and Kris and a few others do a lot more email messaging than I do.
I did post some pictures in another thread showing how I installed an Explorer actuator into my Mark VII, back years ago when I couldn't find the OEM actuators. Maybe you are remembering those pictures, which were fairly good, but with Photobucket ripping people off, those pictures should be unavailable now. I since found the OEM actuators on eBay for about $80 a pair, which is a great price.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:51 am

I cannot say that I've ever helped with door lock actuators. My hands on in that area is VER limited.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 90 MarkVII BB » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:11 pm

Its not difficult, just a bit tight. The actuators are in the door toward the bottom outer corner (furthest from the speaker). It's a cylinder shape covered with a rubber boot. It's held in by a U-bracket with rubber bushings. The bushings have a hole in the center that a nipple threads through to hold the actuator in on each side. The bracket is mounted via a rivet. Some say you should drill the rivet out and replace with nut/bolt. I dont have a rivet gun. I have had better luck by simply bending/spreading the U-bracket a bit. Just enough to get my hand in there and be able to slip the actuator nipple out of the rubber bushing via the pin. Then unplug the pigtail from the bottom, and thread the hook out of the linkages for the lock.

switch actuators, and assemble in the reverse.
Last edited by 90 MarkVII BB on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ivory" - 1990 Mark VII Bill Blass Edition
3G Alternator, Arnott Air springs front/rear, hardwired dashcam, Tigerpaw whitewalls, all 4 brake lines new NiCopp, all else factory.
In the works - Backup cam, Addco#415.
90 MarkVII BB
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:38 pm

The easiest method is to first have a 1/4" rivet gun(Harbor Freight Salvage works) and the black rivets(common for Ford applications(door handle rivets)). I got a box of the black rivets through NAPA years ago.

With the rivet gun, you simply drill out the old one, swap the actuator in place, and hold it while installing a new rivet. I didn't have to fight the rubber bushing/prong things, the new part comes with that all assembled. Just hook up the linkage and wiring. removing the window guide channel helps a lot to get at the actuator, just loosen the one bolt which locks it down(gold colored head(11mm I think)).
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby saharacourt1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:16 pm

oldschool1 wrote:I cannot say that I've ever helped with door lock actuators. My hands on in that area is VER limited.

HELLO FELLOW MEMBER OF LINCOLN MARK V11 CLUB./ OLD SCHOOL.
I RECALL YOU WERE VERY HELPFUL TO ME WHEN I WAS LISTING MY
MARK V11 for sale. YOU WERE KIND ENOUGH TO FIND MY OLD PICTURES
AND RE LIST THEM FOR ME.
COULD YOU POSSIBLY COME TO MY AID AGAIN?????
A FEW WEEKS AGO ONE OF OUR MEMBERS WAS KIND ENOUGH TO LIST FOR
ME A SELECTION OF PHOTOS SHOWING HOW TO INSTALL ACTUATORS IN
MY DOORS. MY ELECTRIC DOOR LOCKS ARE NOT WORKING. I THINK IT WAS
CDW6212R WHO POSTED THEM, I CONTACTED HIM BUT HE THINKS IS WASN'T
HIM.??
ANY CHANCE YOU COULD POSSIBLY LOCATE THOSE ACTUATOR PHOTOS ON
OUR SITE FOR ME.
SORRY IF I AM A PAIN. IF YOU CAN'T JUST LET ME KNOW. I FULLY UNDERSTAND.
SCOTTY IN FLORIDA.
saharacourt
saharacourt1

Postby beek0 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:53 pm

INDYDAVE posted some pictures Jan 12, 2014. Do a "door lock pictures" search it should come up.
beek0
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:28 am

Thanks to Beek0, I located these.
See, http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/Gallery/albums/Door-Lock-Actuator-Replacement/ for the raw pictures and see, http://www.thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8684 for the actual thread started by IndyDave.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Exterior