THIS IS WHY I WILL NOT BUY A NEW CAR, SIMPLE ECONOMICS

Have a bad day? Have a great day? Buy a new car? Get your car broken in to? This is the place to put it all out on the table. Let off some steam or show off in here.

THIS IS WHY I WILL NOT BUY A NEW CAR, SIMPLE ECONOMICS

Postby richgs76 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:57 pm

THE REASON I WILL NOT BUY A NEW CAR IS SIMPLE ECONOMICS. I LOOK AT IT THIS WAY, THE LEAST EXPENSIVE,(CHEAPEST), NEW NOTHING MUCH SUB COMPACT CAR WILL RUN YOU AROUND $12,000 TO $14,000,A NEW LUXURY CAR, FORGET IT, $40,OOO.00 +THAT,S IF YOU PAY CASH,IF YOU FINANCE YOU CAN THROW IN THAT COST AS WELL, THEN THEIRS THE INSURANCE COST OF A NEW CAR,MUCH HIGHER THAN A OLDER CAR AND FINALLY TAGS,IN MANY STATS IT GOES BY THE VALUE OF THE CAR. ALL THAT ADDS UP TO A GOOD HUNK OF CHANGE FOR A CAR THAT GETS 30 MPG AND OFFERS NOT MUCH PROTECTION WHEN IT COMES TO COLLISIONS. ON THE OTHER HAND, MY DAILY DRIVER IS A 1986 MARK VII BILL BLASS. I PAID $1850.00 FOR IT ABOUT A YEAR AND A HALF AGO KNOWING I WOULD HAVE TO PUT MORE MONEY IN IT TO GET IT UP TO SNUFF. AS OF NOW I HAVE PUT AROUND $3,500.00 IN TO IT,($2,400.00 WERE FOR A TRANSMISSION REBUILD), AND OTHER THAN ROUTEING MAINTENANCE AS WITH ANY OTHER CAR OLD OR NEW, I HAVE A MECHANICALLY SOUND LUXURY SPORT COUPE THAT I'M NOT CRAMPED IN AND OFFERS CONSIDERABLY MORE PROTECTION THAN TODAY'S GAS/ELECTRIC ROLLER SATES ON THE ROAD. SO WITH AN INVESTMENT OF AROUND $4,350.00 GIVE OR TAKE ALONG WITH MUCH LOWER INSURANCE AND LICENCING FEES I HAVE A LUXURY CAR THAT FLOATS DOWN THE HIGHWAY AT 15-20 MPG IN COMFORT. NOW AT THE LEAST, $12,000 LESS $4,350 EQUALS $7,650. THAT EVEN AT TO DAYS PRICES STILL BUYS AN AWFUL LOT OF GAS. tHAT'S WHY I WILL NOT BUY A NEW CAR, SIMPLE ECONOMICS.
richgs76
CLUB MEMBER

Re: THIS IS WHY I WILL NOT BUY A NEW CAR, SIMPLE ECONOMICS

Postby Dereck » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:58 am

Hi Richgs76

The reason I will not buy a new car is because I do not have enough money, if I had enough money I would buy one in an instant.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:23 pm

I wouldn't buy a new car even if I had the money. The snap together plastic cars of today are built for one thing. You drive them and when something goes really wrong with it, you throw it away and buy another. There is only a few cars out there that will ever become a classic, the rest are merely an "appliance", like your stove or TV. Things were just built better years ago. Do you honestly think 20 or 30 years from now there will be an "smart for two" or Prius at a car show? This is the reason the newest thing I own is my 93 Explorer, I can still work on it and I don't have to be an electronic genus to figure out as to why the window won't roll up :lol: To much techy crap in cars today.......stuff that will fail and be expensive to fix, if it hasn't been already outdated.... My Mark VII is about as techy as I will ever get.... :mrgreen:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby phoenix » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:32 pm

+1

Up here in salt country I can add this: new cars are for driving around in the winter. :D
Image Image

1990 LSC SE (a.k.a. "Christine")
1991 LSC (a.k.a. "Ghost")

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Postby lincolnmaniac » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:47 am

i like my brandy new 8 yr old lincoln
lincolnmaniac

Postby phoenix » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:22 pm

Congrats, Scott! You got a new Panther, right? 8-)
Image Image

1990 LSC SE (a.k.a. "Christine")
1991 LSC (a.k.a. "Ghost")

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Postby ricardocordoba » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:27 pm

My complaint with new(er) cars is the firm and in some cases plastic like seats even in higher end cars such as the Cadillac XTS.
ricardocordoba
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:05 pm

I've recycled so many cars that I've lost count. When I'm done with them they go to the boneyard!

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:51 pm

No Lincoln Mark VIIs though right??
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Rants and Raves!