After Changing the Thermostat...

Have a bad day? Have a great day? Buy a new car? Get your car broken in to? This is the place to put it all out on the table. Let off some steam or show off in here.

After Changing the Thermostat...

Postby Davemutt » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:56 pm

...I've come to the conclusion that my hands are just too big to work on these cars.

It took me about three hours to change the thermostat and temp sending unit on the Mark VII. I can do it in under 1/2 hour on my old Cougar. My knuckles are all scraped up from going where they don't fit. My back is sore from leaning over the car. My patience is thin from dropping nuts and fishing them out with a coat hanger.

I also thought it was a good time to put on some new spark plug wires. Same problem - my hands just dont fit everywhere they need to go! I think the ideal setup for working on this car would be orangutan arms and little girl hands.

Oh well, next time will be easier, right?
Davemutt

Re: After Changing the Thermostat...

Postby phoenix » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:06 pm

I hate hate HATE the thermostat job... Did I mention that I absolutely HATE the thermostat job? :lol:

The best time to do the thermostat is when the lower intake or the whole friggin engine are OUT of the car!!! :shock:
Image Image

1990 LSC SE (a.k.a. "Christine")
1991 LSC (a.k.a. "Ghost")

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Postby brent » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:06 am

That's funny, I just replaced the thermostat on my '92 and was I surprised! There is absolutely no room, I had to remove a small ear that was on the pump for what reason I can't imagine just to get to the bottom bolt. Makes you wonder who designed that little piece of heaven.
Brent
First in Southern California
1987 LSC 347 stroker. Watts link, modified suspension, modified wide ratio transmission (By Don Richardson), 373 gears, custom interior.
2002 Explorer XLT
2001 Ranger XLT
1991 LSC with 50,000 miles
brent
Chapter Coordinator, California

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:59 am

At the Wixom, Michigan Factory from 1984 to 1992, our thermostats wer installed BEFORE our water pumps.

Replace the water pump AND the thermostat simultaneously or replace the thermostat housing bolts with allen head bolts. Install them with rounded allen head keys.

Take pictures before and after.

oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Stargazer LSC » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:58 am

Oh, this does not his well for me then... My thermostat is toast, I suspect. Car runs cold, barely making it past N on the temp gauge. I've done thermostats on my old Town Car and Thunderbird, and I just generally get lucky working on these Marks. I'm a fairly substantial dude, but I can squeeze into some pretty limited spaces - but ONLY on these cars!

I am, however, no fan of the fuel pressure regulator. And I'm sorry. I'm not ripping the fuel rail and upper intake off just to get at that UFO looking piece of crap.
1992 Lincoln Mk VII LSC "Charisma" (R.I.P.)
Stargazer LSC

Postby tomnh » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:53 am

There are many many wonderful parts on our marks that were designed for a contortionist to service. If you ever have the misluck to have to change the heater core, you will know for sure. That is one long hard job. :|

As for the pressure regulator, I just changed mine and the injectors too. Had to remove the upper intake to get at the left bank. Another complicated job. :cry:
tomnh

Dirty Deeds 90 lsc 93 Cobra heads and intake, 1.7 RR, 6AL ignition, United Exhaust 2 1/4" off road exhaust, no smog and no cats, X-Pipe, SCT chip and mass air, A9P ECU. 24lb injectors, 3:55 gears, 255 fuel pump, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator with gauge, 65mm TB, Ram Air intake, 17" 1998 cobra rims. Last tune was 290HP

Sandy 1989 lsc convertible (1 of 12) Original and Stock, driven daily and under renovation.

Buy Club Gear and Support Our Club !
http://www.cafepress.com/LincolnMarkVIIClub
tomnh
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby artbaileyjr » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:23 am

I guess that i"m just an old-school mechanic. I fight the lower bolt out, wire brush the heck out of the threads, then have my wife "Kat" (Junkyardkat) put them back in! :lol: (That 'lil farm girl can pull wrenches better than most mechanics I've met. :mrgreen: )

I ~have~ on occasion, cut a slot across the head of the lower bolt with a die grinder and an 1/8" wide cuttoff wheel, so a screwdriver can be used for all but the last couple of turns upon reassembly, but really ... It's just easier to pop open a Pepsi and let "Kat" do it! 8-)

They rarely have to be changed anyway...

Art :D
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby brent » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Hey Art, Great minds must think alike. I cut a slot in my lower bolt too!
Brent
1987 LSC 347 stroker. Watts link, modified suspension, modified wide ratio transmission (By Don Richardson), 373 gears, custom interior.
2002 Explorer XLT
2001 Ranger XLT
brent

Postby artbaileyjr » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:43 am

brent wrote:Hey Art, Great minds must think alike. I cut a slot in my lower bolt too!

Yah... But you screwed up by not letting Seth and/or Toby change it while you supervise! :lol:
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby brent » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:07 am

Yeah....... but I wanted to drive the car to Fabulous Fords. Those two would still be arguing about who should get out the tools.
Brent
2002 Explorer XLT
2001 Ranger XLT
brent

Postby mclem71 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:32 pm

Have 1984 Lincoln Mark VII with only 40000 miles on it. It has been sitting for some time. We had a diagnostic ran on everything and it checked out perfect. Next day it overheated. Husband bought new thermostat but when he was removing the old it fell out and he didn't see what direction it went in and we haven't been able to find any schematics. We found a video and put in the thermostat according to what it said and thoroughly flushed the radiator. Heated up again, replaced radiator cap, heated and blew top radiator hose. Any suggestions on what to try next and can verify direction of thermostat? :?:
mclem71

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:19 am

Welcome,

It's unfortunate that you had this happen to you but here is what ~may~ have happened.

Many things on our 1984 Lincoln Mark VIIs are exclusive. Our water pumps are one of them. Though distributors ~may~ list a Lincoln Mark VII water pump as 1984 - 1992 or say, "they're all the same", they are incorrect. In 1984, our water pumps spun in the same direction as our crankshafts due to the utilization of three separate belts. Starting in 1985, when a single drive belt was engineered into the final product, the water pump spun in the OPPOSITE direction of our drive shafts!

Shown below are shop manual examples. Click the images for a closer look. The red text was added to the photos for clarity.

1985 - 1992 (with 1986 shown)

If our water pumps spin in the opposite direction, no cooling occurs and we blow hoses and caps. Our caps are rated at 12 pounds. If you blew a hose ~before~ blowing a cap, I would suggest replacing ALL of the hoses in the cooling system.

I really like working on my 1984s. My favorite job was the leaky coolant hose.
When I replaced it, I found the 4 pound leak.
When I replaced it, I found the 8 pound leak.
When I replaced it, I found the 10 pound leak.
When I replaced it, I found the 12 pound leak, better known as the radiator cap.

Let us know how you proceed!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby AlexMech » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:28 pm

I don't actually OWN a Mark VII, but after being hired to replace a thermostat in one and coming to this forum in desperation and tears I DID want to post my resulting fix. I hate removing stuff that might break, and on this 1982 that included everything, so I took a 1/4 inch drive 1/2 inch socket and went over to the grinder and BUTCHERED it down to 5/16 inch on the 1/4 inch adapter side and shaved down the socket barrel on the front until it would just contain the whole bolthead. And then I closed my eyes and turned. And it worked. The angle was not perfect but I was with 10 degrees of dead on line with that stupid bolt. Whole job took 1.5 hours. That's what I did it in and that's what I billed. After all, in their infinite wisdom FLM calls that thermostat job .9 hours. :!: Stupid engineers, I'm just a tinkerer who owns a shop in my hometown, I loath everything made by Mopar (especially post 1994) and when I see stuff from the 80's in here I wince, because of all the can's of worms I have ever opened, 80's cars are the worst. So this went surprisingly well, and after seeing the hate and loathing of the thermostat job on here I though I would share my results. BTW, it was a cheap no name brand chrome socket. When you think its skinny enough grind for 30 seconds more.
AlexMech

Postby oldschool1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:15 pm

AlexMech,
Thank you so very much for the resource!

You're not the first person to work it out that way. Being a mechanic Definitely means doing the task at hand and not removing that which does not need to be removed.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Also pull the sheet metal cover off of the new water pump to make sure it has a LARGE STAMPED STEEL IMPELLER and not a SMALL CAST IRON IMPELLER WITH WELDED ON VANES. I went through this with three different pumps (All made in the USA) for my '89 LSC until I finally procured the correct one from Ford Racing (Made in China, of course).

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Rants and Raves!