What a government shut down means to me

Have a bad day? Have a great day? Buy a new car? Get your car broken in to? This is the place to put it all out on the table. Let off some steam or show off in here.

What a government shut down means to me

Postby White Lincoln » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:05 am

All political preference aside, I would like to say that the government shutdown has affected me greatly. I am a federal employee and I had to pack up my belongings and go home yesterday, not to return until our lawmakers come to an agreement. What this means to me is that I will not get paid for days, weeks or more. If and when this is over, I still may not get paid for lost time due to the state of the economy. This is not good. Though I have savings for something like this, it is not an empty well.

The good thing is I can get all those honey-does done before winter sets in. Like finish the crawl space door that has not been attended to since 1998. Adjust the water lines under the house that were never installed correctly. Make that hallway table my wife has been asking for since January and maybe, just maybe get my Mark VII painted. That would be grand. I also have the trim around the house that needs painting, the swamp cooler needs to be replaced or at least taken off the roof and discarded. They never last 15 years like they used too. I have a list of things to do as long as my arm.

Or I could just slack off and watch TV. My choice. Either way I go, the threat of no income looms over my head and is in the back of my mind all the time. In my gut, I feel this may be a long break for me, not a 2 or 3 day break.

Well, garbage comes tomorrow so I need to get both lawns mowed, start on those weeds that have been taunting me since out last big rain and get started on the my “Round ToIt”.

White Lincoln
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Re: What a government shut down means to me

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:17 pm

I hope that it will not affect you too long Brad, or many very much, and that you will get paid after it's over. They said that the first day the government was funded to the 85% level. Already 65% was not shut down, the social security and Medicare/Medicaid is never shut off.

I know of some few people near me who use a federal park access road to get home, including the school buses. Those people have an hour commute for now until the parks are funded again.

Hopefully they will continue to create small bills to fund every smaller portion of the government. I believe the limitless size of the bills the government produces is a huge problem. I'd limit any bill to some size like 10-20 pages. Anything can be trimmed down into parts, and still achieve the same final goal. That would also eliminate a lot of pork(as in all of it). Regards,
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Re: What a government shut down means to me

Postby tomnh » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:49 pm

Sorry to hear that Brad, We need to impeach both the congress and senate and ban them from ever holding office again. The republicans are run by a small but vocal group on the far right, the dems from the same thing on the far left. What happened to the good moderate politicians that would talk to each other. I think that both parties have shot them selves in the foot. Can't wait to see the next elections :evil:
tomnh

Dirty Deeds 90 lsc 93 Cobra heads and intake, 1.7 RR, 6AL ignition, United Exhaust 2 1/4" off road exhaust, no smog and no cats, X-Pipe, SCT chip and mass air, A9P ECU. 24lb injectors, 3:55 gears, 255 fuel pump, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator with gauge, 65mm TB, Ram Air intake, 17" 1998 cobra rims. Last tune was 290HP

Sandy 1989 lsc convertible (1 of 12) Original and Stock, driven daily and under renovation.

Buy Club Gear and Support Our Club !
http://www.cafepress.com/LincolnMarkVIIClub
tomnh
DECEASED MEMBERS

Return to Rants and Raves!