Another Reason to Keep Driving Your Mark VII

Have a bad day? Have a great day? Buy a new car? Get your car broken in to? This is the place to put it all out on the table. Let off some steam or show off in here.

Another Reason to Keep Driving Your Mark VII

Postby Davemutt » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:45 pm

Put this one in the rant category. I'm sure all manufacturers are currently doing this or working on it. I won't be buying a new car. Ever.

Ford's VP of Marketing said this:

"We know everyone who breaks the law, we know when you're doing it. We have GPS in your car, so we know what you're doing. By the way, we don't supply that data to anyone,"

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/ford-exe ... z2q0vrAda0
Davemutt

Re: Another Reason to Keep Driving Your Mark VII

Postby CDW6212R » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:05 pm

Yes, I grew up in America, where freedom meant a lot. Now we are in a nanny state where everyone expects the government or somebody to take care of all problems for them.

Thank your favorite government loving politicians for that.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:14 pm

Davemutt wrote:Put this one in the rant category. I'm sure all manufacturers are currently doing this or working on it. I won't be buying a new car. Ever.

Ford's VP of Marketing said this:

"We know everyone who breaks the law, we know when you're doing it. We have GPS in your car, so we know what you're doing. By the way, we don't supply that data to anyone,"

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/ford-exe ... z2q0vrAda0

The "newest" car/truck I own is a 93, even though it is computer controlled, I can still work on it. No matter how hard the government tries to take our beloved old cars away, (remember C4C) I refuse to buy anything new. There just snap together "Tupperware" throw away cars IMO. :shock: May our Marks run forever......

Bruce
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby Falkon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:16 am

Aren't "Black Boxes" being mandated in all cars sometime soon. Also, I ran across this article today.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exch ... 36223.html
Falkon
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:59 am

Falkon wrote:Aren't "Black Boxes" being mandated in all cars sometime soon. Also, I ran across this article today.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exch ... 36223.html

Just as I own older cars and trucks, I own a "dumb" phone. I never will get into the "I" "ME" "MY" "SMART PHONE" generation as most people are today. If I want to go online I do so on my HP desktop (yes desktop) plugged in via cable to a router/modem. Keep it simple, the latest "upgrade" may not be the best for you, but it may be for "them". My "dumb" phone works well and does a remarkable thing........ It makes phone calls wirelessly :mrgreen: Old school technology works best for me....
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:13 pm

Did someone say Old School?
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:15 am

oldschool1 wrote:Did someone say Old School?

Why YES, yes they did as a matter of fact :shock: :lol:.......... Cheers
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Dave 92 LSC » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:08 pm

George Orwell predicted this all very well in his book 1984.
The machine has to crumble, before it can be rebuilt.
88 LSC Black-5speed, TFS heads, 14.1-99mph R.I.P
90 LSC Black-5-speed LSC
95 Mark VIII
96 Mustang GT 'Vert
94 MB S500
98 Lexus LS400
73 Mark IV
98 LSC
87 MB 420SEL
-----------------------------------
92 LSC.
08 Lexus LS 460

Dave 92 LSC

Postby Falkon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:49 am

Dave 92 LSC wrote:George Orwell predicted this all very well in his book 1984.
The machine has to crumble, before it can be rebuilt.

So, what you are saying in Newspeak, is that it's, "double plus ungood?"
Falkon
CLUB MEMBER

Postby tomnh » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:49 am

I would NOT buy a obd2 car. They trac too much data for me. I also own a trac phone that is turned on and used for only one reason, I broke down and need AAA. I like to stay private and not be tracked. Although, I do like to track the cops :roll:
tomnh

Dirty Deeds 90 lsc 93 Cobra heads and intake, 1.7 RR, 6AL ignition, United Exhaust 2 1/4" off road exhaust, no smog and no cats, X-Pipe, SCT chip and mass air, A9P ECU. 24lb injectors, 3:55 gears, 255 fuel pump, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator with gauge, 65mm TB, Ram Air intake, 17" 1998 cobra rims. Last tune was 290HP

Sandy 1989 lsc convertible (1 of 12) Original and Stock, driven daily and under renovation.

Buy Club Gear and Support Our Club !
http://www.cafepress.com/LincolnMarkVIIClub
tomnh
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:15 pm

tomnh wrote:I would NOT buy a obd2 car. They trac too much data for me. I also own a trac phone that is turned on and used for only one reason, I broke down and need AAA. I like to stay private and not be tracked. Although, I do like to track the cops :roll:

I agree. The government should be limited, and we should be unlimited.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby warwgn » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:46 am

WHITEOXLSC wrote:Just as I own older cars and trucks, I own a "dumb" phone. I never will get into the "I" "ME" "MY" "SMART PHONE" generation as most people are today. If I want to go online I do so on my HP desktop (yes desktop) plugged in via cable to a router/modem. Keep it simple, the latest "upgrade" may not be the best for you, but it may be for "them". My "dumb" phone works well and does a remarkable thing........ It makes phone calls wirelessly :mrgreen: Old school technology works best for me....
AMEN TO THAT!!!!!! I also own a dumb phone. Even with that, I still think there's too much technology in it. All I want a phone that is nothing but a phone That's IT!! No texting, no games, no internet, no camera.... NOTHING but just making calls. Everything that my phone has, I already have better devices that are separate from each other. I have a digital camera, that takes great pictures, The camera on my phone sucks. I can take better pictures with a potato. I can wait until I get home to get on the internet, using my desktop or laptop computers. If I need a Calculator, I use the one on my desk. If I Need a Calender, There's one pinned up on the wall.

There is too much technology out today, and even though some of it is good, alot of it isn't. You can count me as another " will never get a smart phone" guy.
Cheers
Doug Corrigan
1990 Bill Blass, Black w/ canavas Landau roof. Mods: 3.08 trac-lock rear end, Draw-Tite Class 1 bumper mount trailer tow hitch.
2003 Ford Explorer Limited. 4.6L V-8. 5spd Auto 3.73 rear 4x4. Class 4 hitch.
warwgn
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:53 pm

warwgn wrote:
WHITEOXLSC wrote:Just as I own older cars and trucks, I own a "dumb" phone. I never will get into the "I" "ME" "MY" "SMART PHONE" generation as most people are today. If I want to go online I do so on my HP desktop (yes desktop) plugged in via cable to a router/modem. Keep it simple, the latest "upgrade" may not be the best for you, but it may be for "them". My "dumb" phone works well and does a remarkable thing........ It makes phone calls wirelessly :mrgreen: Old school technology works best for me....
AMEN TO THAT!!!!!! I also own a dumb phone. Even with that, I still think there's too much technology in it. All I want a phone that is nothing but a phone That's IT!! No texting, no games, no internet, no camera.... NOTHING but just making calls. Everything that my phone has, I already have better devices that are separate from each other. I have a digital camera, that takes great pictures, The camera on my phone sucks. I can take better pictures with a potato. I can wait until I get home to get on the internet, using my desktop or laptop computers. If I need a Calculator, I use the one on my desk. If I Need a Calender, There's one pinned up on the wall.

There is too much technology out today, and even though some of it is good, alot of it isn't. You can count me as another " will never get a smart phone" guy.

We are a dying breed my friend.........For example, my sweetie (dumb phone user too) :D and I were out at a restaurant the other night and while we were eating, a whole family came in and sat down a few tables away. Every one of them were staring at their damn phone texting, surfing and doing whatever you do with a "smart phone'" . None of them were talking to each other, none of them even had a clue as to what was even going on around them. Is this todays version of family night out? ........They were that way until we left......I just shook my head. Sad really sad :cry:

Yep, going to keep driving the Mark VII, with my dumb phone in the console, a paper map in the glove box, the JBL playing a CD and where the "smartest" thing about the whole car, is the Trip minder... simple works for me :lol: :mrgreen:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby IndyDave » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:42 pm

Got a 2014 Mazda CX-9 on 1-1-14. So many beeps and warning buzzers I can't always tell what I'm doing wrong or what danger is about to bite me. It's the first time I have given a car a female name. "Kiko" makes so much noise that you simply give in and say, "yes dear". The nanny factor is soooo high on this car. Backing up, you would swear you were about to run over a dozen babies or something - the beeping is nearly maddening. Not sorry I bought it, but it is a different world.

Can't wait until the road conditions are good enough to get Cosmo back out.
Image Image
1989 LSC sold in 1995 | 1991 LSC, "Cosmo", sold August 11 2016. I'm "between Marks" at the moment. ;)
IndyDave
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:08 pm

IndyDave wrote:Can't wait until the road conditions are good enough to get Cosmo back out.

I'm sure Cosmo can't wait either and he will only beep to remind you to fasten your safety belt or get some fuel.... :lol: :mrgreen: Ahhhh just plain simple.....
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:57 am

Whoa Guys ...
take it easy ...
no politics remember?

Can anyone give us another reason to keep driving our Mark VIIs?
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:35 pm

Well a big one comes to mind when we are out driving our Marks. Not only do we have a classy looking ride, even in todays world, but we also can claim that we actually ride on air on all four corners(for those of us who chose to keep our air ride) and remain at the same height no matter how loaded or unloaded the car is. One of the Mark VII's marvels :mrgreen:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby RoyLPita » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:10 pm

If I could find a radio with Bluetooth and satellite radio for my future LSC, I would be happy.
2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles)
2010 Lexus IS250 (bought 8/9/13 @ 39129 miles)

I had a 1987 LSC way back when.
I got that itch again for a Mark VII (it might take a while)
Look here for 86-88 and 92 Mark VII brochures:http://www.lov2xlr8.no/lincoln.html
Cup holder: E4LY-6313530-A $33.08 list
Window switches: E4LY-14529-A or Motorcraft SW-7055 $29.66 list

R.I.P. Art Bailey Jr 1953-2013
R.I.P. Thomas "TomNH" Saluti 1948 - 2015
RoyLPita

Postby tomnh » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:16 pm

I kow an electrical engineer up here that claims he can turn off all the radio transmitters in the car, and has a handheld that wipes the long term storage memory on the ECU (not engine stuff, just the BS how fast you were going and where you were junk).
Nope, I'll stick with my ODB1 systems, or a carb. Remember them, no electronics.
tomnh

Dirty Deeds 90 lsc 93 Cobra heads and intake, 1.7 RR, 6AL ignition, United Exhaust 2 1/4" off road exhaust, no smog and no cats, X-Pipe, SCT chip and mass air, A9P ECU. 24lb injectors, 3:55 gears, 255 fuel pump, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator with gauge, 65mm TB, Ram Air intake, 17" 1998 cobra rims. Last tune was 290HP

Sandy 1989 lsc convertible (1 of 12) Original and Stock, driven daily and under renovation.

Buy Club Gear and Support Our Club !
http://www.cafepress.com/LincolnMarkVIIClub
tomnh
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:27 pm

tomnh wrote:I kow an electrical engineer up here that claims he can turn off all the radio transmitters in the car, and has a handheld that wipes the long term storage memory on the ECU (not engine stuff, just the BS how fast you were going and where you were junk).
Nope, I'll stick with my ODB1 systems, or a carb. Remember them, no electronics.

Definite plus one on that! :mrgreen:

As far as carbs and computers, remember the electronic feedback quadajet GM had in the 80's?
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby The_Jed » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:53 pm

I too am a "Luddite".
I don't even like ABS, but I'll tolerate it on my white LSC. :D
The_Jed

Postby mike9251578 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:50 pm

Ok, being one of the new guys on the block, I can tell you owning my Mark over the last month has been a great experience. I love the simplicity of the car, but yet there is a Sophisticated  side to the car too. I'm my job I rent cars at least a couple times a month and I can tell you it gets quite tiring trying to set up all the gizmos in the car and all the user preferences that are available. I usually just hit the master reset to wipe out the previous drivers preferences. Anymore, the rental car company that I rent from know me well enough that they have it on file that all I drive are Ford and Lincoln products. This really helps with having to keep learning all the new features on a car all the time. But even then, there are a lot of differences in the cars. I picked up a new Lincoln MKX tonight, and the thing doesn't even have a shifter in the car. I have to admit after driving my Mark, it took me a minute to figure out how to put the thing in gear :D. I guess my whole point to my rant is that I really love driving my Mark and the ease of how everything works. The car is well laid out and straight forward. That's what I love about my Mark and the reason to keep driving them! :mrgreen:
Mike - Wichita, KS
91 LSC Current Red
07 Escape (Wife's car)
94 Ranger 4x4
07 Mustang GT
2012 Lincoln MKX
1979 Mustang Indy Pace Car

Previous:
90 Bill Blass
mike9251578
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:12 pm

mike9251578 wrote:Ok, being one of the new guys on the block, I can tell you owning my Mark over the last month has been a great experience. I love the simplicity of the car, but yet there is a Sophisticated  side to the car too. I'm my job I rent cars at least a couple times a month and I can tell you it gets quite tiring trying to set up all the gizmos in the car and all the user preferences that are available. I usually just hit the master reset to wipe out the previous drivers preferences. Anymore, the rental car company that I rent from know me well enough that they have it on file that all I drive are Ford and Lincoln products. This really helps with having to keep learning all the new features on a car all the time. But even then, there are a lot of differences in the cars. I picked up a new Lincoln MKX tonight, and the thing doesn't even have a shifter in the car. I have to admit after driving my Mark, it took me a minute to figure out how to put the thing in gear :D. I guess my whole point to my rant is that I really love driving my Mark and the ease of how everything works. The car is well laid out and straight forward. That's what I love about my Mark and the reason to keep driving them! :mrgreen:

I'm sure when these cars first came out people thought "wow all those buttons" how complex. Nothing compared to todays cars... I'm with you, keep it simple, but add a few useful gizmos to make the car a little "different". That is what the Mark VII was and that's what I like about it. :mrgreen:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby White Lincoln » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:04 pm

WHITEOXLSC wrote:I'm sure when these cars first came out people thought "wow all those buttons" how complex. Nothing compared to todays cars... I'm with you, keep it simple, but add a few useful gizmos to make the car a little "different". That is what the Mark VII was and that's what I like about it. :mrgreen:

Actually, the Mark was years ahead of other cars in electronics and probably not far behind today's cars. The one big difference is the Mark did not have very much computer control on the engine, that came a few years later after 95.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:30 pm

White Lincoln wrote:
WHITEOXLSC wrote:I'm sure when these cars first came out people thought "wow all those buttons" how complex. Nothing compared to todays cars... I'm with you, keep it simple, but add a few useful gizmos to make the car a little "different". That is what the Mark VII was and that's what I like about it. :mrgreen:

Actually, the Mark was years ahead of other cars in electronics and probably not far behind today's cars. The one big difference is the Mark did not have very much computer control on the engine, that came a few years later after 95.

I'm going to fix that. The car is a great platform, with several cousin cars. It's not simple to make other things work, but it's possible.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Next

Return to Rants and Raves!