A sad day for Mark VII number 10!

Have a bad day? Have a great day? Buy a new car? Get your car broken in to? This is the place to put it all out on the table. Let off some steam or show off in here.

A sad day for Mark VII number 10!

Postby lscaddict » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:20 pm

I'm not in the mood to type the whole story, but My tenth Mark VII, (only one I have now) which I bought about a month ago and started restoring was rear-ended on Hanover St in Carlisle, PA on the way to the show. I registered for "stock", but I guess now it's "modified"! Anyway... Here's the before and after:

And now I prepare to deal with the Insurance adjuster.
lscaddict

Re: A sad day for Mark VII number 10!

Postby lscaddict » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:23 pm

I found a Mark nearby that has no title, that matches the color, that I can get for $600... just waiting on the insurance deal. If I have to I will just do it without them. I'm not going to let them "total loss" the car and give me $1500, or whatever it will be. Maybe for $3,000 I would let go. I don't know...
lscaddict

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:10 am

The important thing is that you're physically fine my Friend.

Thank you for making the 100+ mile trip up to the 2015 Carlisle Ford Nationals here in Pennsylvania from VA.

oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby lscaddict » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:52 pm

Yes... I am fine. Third day and no more pain. It was all muscular strain.

Thanks for getting a pic of the good side. The passenger side is still straight. I don't know if replacing the quarter panel or stretching it would be cheaper. Anyway... still waiting to hear from their insurance. I filed a claim with mine, and my company has filed one with theirs. Let the games begin!
lscaddict

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:54 pm

Sorry to see your car get wrecked. I'm glad that you are doing well. Unfortunately the insurance companies will want to total it because to them it is just an old car. If the car is repairable then I would fight them to have it repaired, paying you off and totaling it is the easy way for them. Let a really good body shop look at it before you throw in the towel. Remember they hit you, you didn't hit them........ ;)
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby lscaddict » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:28 am

I'm keeping the car no matter what they do. If we don't reach an agreement I will just get a lawyer to deal with them. I've already found a donor car for $600, which would give me all the body parts, plus the blue interior that I wanted to get. We'll see.
lscaddict

Postby 2manymarks » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:58 am

WHITEOXLSC wrote:Sorry to see your car get wrecked. I'm glad that you are doing well. Unfortunately the insurance companies will want to total it because to them it is just an old car. If the car is repairable then I would fight them to have it repaired, paying you off and totaling it is the easy way for them. Let a really good body shop look at it before you throw in the towel. Remember they hit you, you didn't hit them........ ;)

Sorry about your loss. A lot of us have been through this and I don't envy the work you are going to have to do to get some satisfaction. Main thing is it was a rear end and that almost certainly makes it their fault. Any settlement needs to include you maintaining possession of your car. Next, start documenting Similar Mark VIIs for sale, and more importantly, sold. They will come up with a few comparables that probably won't reflect the condition and value of yours. Be prepared to check on them and find out their actual condition. Start now. Original offer on my rear end wreck was $1800. I finally settled for $3000. And kept my car. It was an 89LSC w/less than 100k and an almost perfect interior. My favorite body shop put it on a "frame straightener" and carefully pulled it out to almost good as new. Right side sail panel had a fair amount of buckling, but was straightened with only slight visible rippling . I had to replace the bumper but didn't have to paint the car. (He's a great bodyman!) shop bill was less than $400 about 5 years ago. I still have the car and it is just now in need of paint. Don't let them get you. You are going to have to prove value. Get a copy of their insurance/damage report with comparables they used. Tell them what you want/expect for compensation and go from there. Good luck! 8-)
As of July2017, 11 Mark[*] VII's, 3 licensed for the road:
1989 LSC Midnight/Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock 99k.
1989 LSC Midnight/Current Red c/c (9G) 124k, stock, needs air suspension & bodywork.
1989 Light Titanium c/c (11) Bill Blass - stock. miles unk
1989 LSC Medium Sandalwood (62) Mass air+ 111k FOR SALE $900.
1986 BB (8T) stock 125k (wife'sDD)
1987 BB (4L) stock (miles unk)
1987 Base Model White (9L) 107k (2.73rear)
1984 Turbo Diesel Base model, Platinum (1Q), 131k+ FOR SALE $1000.
Parts cars: 88 LSC, 89 BB, 90 LSC - TLZ 5spd (complete conversion w/extras 4SALE)
2manymarks
CLUB MEMBER

Postby lscaddict » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:32 pm

Thanks!

I talked to my assigned adjuster this morning, and told her that this is not "just an old car", it is a collector car, and the blue book value would not reflect that. So she assigned an "independent appraiser" to come look at the car. I am now putting together a collection of photos of my other Marks, and will look up some sold ones too.
lscaddict

Postby lscaddict » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:43 pm

Update:

After having the claim denied by the insurance company of the owner of the vehicle that hit me, because the driver was not listed on his wife's policy as a "household driver", I got paid from my uninsured motorist coverage through my own insurance company. Happy to say that the appraisal was good! They gave me $3,044, and did not total loss the car. That is enough to cover all the money I had into both the original car, and the parts car. So, basically I'm driving a free Mark VII! A little crunchy lookin', but I don't care. I got the trunk pulled out with a couple big hammers and put the trunk lid and bumper on. I still may cut the quarter panel off the parts car, but I think it can be pulled out and finished with bondo. I got the whole interior out of the parts car, and it is beautiful! When I got this car it had interiors from three different cars. Anyway... happy to have a reasonable outcome on this.
lscaddict

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:26 pm

I am relieved to read this Larry!

Keep us posted as to how you continue to proceed.

For 2016 ... maybe you and I could both put our cars on trailers :)
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Rants and Raves!