WHAT IS ARPANET?

The Serious Side Of The Club's Forum.

NO POLITICS NO RELIGION NO BS

WHAT IS ARPANET?

Postby oldschool1 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:50 pm

Source, Wikipedia.

"The Advanced Research Projects Agency Network (ARPANET) was an early packet switching network and the first network to implement the protocol suite TCP/IP. Both technologies became the technical foundation of the Internet. ARPANET was initially funded by the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA) of the United States Department of Defense.[1][2][3][4][5]

The packet switching methodology employed in the ARPANET was based on concepts and designs by Americans Leonard Kleinrock, Paul Baran, Lawrence Roberts[6] and British scientist Donald Davies. The TCP/IP communications protocols were developed for ARPANET by computer scientists Robert Kahn and Vint Cerf, and incorporated concepts from the French CYCLADES project directed by Louis Pouzin.

As the project progressed, protocols for internetworking were developed by which multiple separate networks could be joined into a network of networks. Access to the ARPANET was expanded in 1981 when the National Science Foundation (NSF) funded the Computer Science Network (CSNET). In 1982, the Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) was introduced as the standard networking protocol on the ARPANET. In the early 1980s the NSF funded the establishment of national supercomputing centers at several universities, and provided interconnectivity in 1986 with the NSFNET project, which also created network access to the supercomputer sites in the United States from research and education organizations. ARPANET was decommissioned in 1990."

oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Re: WHAT IS ARPANET?

Postby K MANIAC » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:22 pm

Gee, and all this time I thought the Internet was invented by.....oh, right. No politics. Never mind.
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass (Oxford White)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Pewter Metallic)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Sandstone Metallic)
1/2 of a 1992 Town Car Signature (my guaranteed inheritance)
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:51 pm

I thought Al Gore was from TN, I had voted for him for Senator thinking that, when I was younger. I'm embarrassed for my state, for him, sad man.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:59 pm

We were hooked into that when I worked for Proctor & Gamble in the eighties. It connected our Shelton, CT Richardson-Vicks R&D labs with the corporate office in Cincinnati, OH. We used a program called X-Tree.

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:19 am

robertbweltzien wrote:We were hooked into that when I worked for Proctor & Gamble in the eighties. It connected our Shelton, CT Richardson-Vicks R&D labs with the corporate office in Cincinnati, OH. We used a program called X-Tree.

Bob

Good times.

No matter what we called it back then, they all basically looked the same and did the same thing.

Good times.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:24 am

K MANIAC wrote:Gee, and all this time I thought the Internet was invented by.....oh, right. No politics. Never mind.

HA!
Good one.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:33 pm

We didn't even have dial up Internet until three years after I left P&G in 1990 to finish my bachelor's degree.

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Return to News, Weather, Sports